Menu

This week has been kind of bad

I'm glad it's over. My best friend's grandpa died (98). I called my husband's grandma to thank her for the birthday present she sent me and in the hour I talked to her she 1) made me aware she doesn't like the way I practice religion 2) wanted to know why we send our child to Catholic school if we don't attend church each week 3) told me my homeschooled ds will be a "nerd" 4) my homeschooled ds "desperately" needs to be around other kids his age and last but not least 5) all her kids did just fine in the public schools and basically school should be good enough for my kids. Then, I found out this morning that my dd (who attends preschool at Catholic school) is losing her best friend to public school next year. She's going to be crushed.

I'm tired. I've known my husband's family for 18 years and they still have no desire to understand who I am or where I'm coming from, no matter how hard I try. It's disheartening. I'm having a pity party for awhile.

I'm tired. I've known my husband's family for 18 years and they still have no desire to understand who I am or where I'm coming from, no matter how hard I try. It's disheartening. I'm having a pity party for awhile.

:grouphug:

I've known my husband's family for eleven years, and they're the same way. Not at all intersted in getting to know who I am. It is hard.

:grouphug:

I'm sorry! FWIW, I think older people do have a harder time understanding homeschooling. My FIL (who is 75 and my dh's step-dad) is constantly commenting how my kids need "buddies." Forget the fact that they have friends, go to lots of activities, are active in sports, take classes at co-op, and go to church. Forget all that...they need buddies that only the public school can provide, in his opinion. Dh and I just :001_huh::blink::confused1::001_rolleyes: and ignore him.

:grouphug: for you!

I think you should send a nice written thank you card from now on.

That made me laugh out loud! What a great idea.

I usually like being around dh's grandma, but the older she gets (she's 89), the more vocal she becomes. I was raised to respect my elders, so I didn't argue with her (not that it would do any good anyway). I just realized that dh's whole family feels that way about religion and homeschooling and she's just the one who said it to me. But that's OK. Now I know and won't talk about that stuff with them.