Menu

I need some help picking curriculum! :)

Hello! This is my first post. I'm homeschooling my daughter, who's in 9th grade. We're starting the year late (Don't ask! :-D) but planning to work year-round so it shouldn't be much of a problem. I would really appreciate your help on picking curriculum to suit my daughter.

Language Arts: I'm not really sure what to do here. My daughter loves writing so I'm not sure a writing curriculum is really necessary. She will be doing the research paper as mentioned in the WTM though or maybe multiple papers because she's actually looking at them as fun. :-D She has a good grasp on grammar too and we're going to keep looking over it every now & again to keep it fresh in her head but I don't think a grammar curriculum is really necessary either. Vocabulary she could definately do with and we'll be doing a lot of reading too. Is it okay to skip over a formal writing & grammar curric. though?

Mathematics: Got it covered! :-)

History: We have SWB's Ancient World and we're going to be getting through some of the books in the list. I'd like to get in some Ambleside Online type of books too but secular? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Biology: We have a Biology textbook but I'm not too fussed on it & DD doesn't like Bio or Chem so I'd like to get one that would increase her interest. Having a 'living books' style would be good here. Again, any recommendations?

Languages: We have Wheelocks for Latin and we'll be throwing in some french vocab at some point during the year when we're more settled as she already has basic french down.

Rhetoric/Logic: I'm confident in her ability with Rhetoric but Logic... not so much. She doesn't have a logic brain and we bought a logical puzzles book and she hasn't managed to complete any one of the puzzles yet so I'd really like to spend time on Logic instead. She's also not been taught Classically before and in the FAQ section of the site it says to do Logic for two years first for an older child? Does anyone have any suggestions for a child her age?

Other: Just to throw it in, she's reading a lot about Philosophy, Religion, Businesses, etc too. She loves these kinds of things so reading is something she does a lot. She's also attempting a few classics this year (Austen, Bronte Sisters, Shakespeare). All of these are for fun though.

Can anyone help? :) :) :)

Just a couple of thoughts.

Regarding grammar, I'd be inclined to do a formal program only because there's so many definitions that I've never even heard before. Now I know why when I got to the SAT's I was wondering how we were supposed to know the answers. My school didn't teach grammar beyond the basics. :glare: It doesn't take much time out of their day to do a page in a grammar book and it really helps with writing even when they're already great writers. :)

For logic, we've just recently started The Fallacy Detective - I highly recommend it! It's fun and an easy introduction to logic. There's another book, Thinking Toolbox, by the same company and we'll do that one as well. Then we'll go into a more formal study of logic, but I haven't researched that yet.

Sounds like she'll have a great school year!!! :001_smile: I'm also looking forward to reading everyone's suggestions!

Thank you so much for your suggestions! :001_smile:

I was having trouble with picking out which were secular books & which weren't with the living books for biology. I don't know the names of the curriculum so I had to google them all seperately. :-D

Do you have any suggestions for grammar curriculum too? I'd like something modern, iykwim?

The logic books both look brilliant & DD likes them too so we'll more than likely be getting them so thank you so much for recommending them! :-)

Once again thank you to both of you!

For logic' date=' we've just recently started The Fallacy Detective - I highly recommend it! It's fun and an easy introduction to logic. There's another book, Thinking Toolbox, by the same company and we'll do that one as well. Then we'll go into a more formal study of logic, but I haven't researched that yet.

[/quote']

I was having trouble with picking out which were secular books & which weren't with the living books for biology. ...

The logic books both look brilliant & DD likes them too so we'll more than likely be getting them so thank you so much for recommending them! :-)

Rionne,

I'm not sure if you are or aren't looking for secular materials. You may wish to know that The Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox are not secular.

Regards,

Kareni

I'll begin with science. Most of the resources work well for non-science types. If anyone needs physics titles, we can more than help you-grin. I've also included resources from the Internet.

TWTM Rhetoric stage science section (need TWTM book)

Living Books for High School Science

Readable Science--not broken down by grade/age

Astronomy Today by Eric Chaisson

The Cosmos: Astronomy in the New Millennium by Jay M. Pasachoff and Alex Filippenko

OM 10th grade Biology

Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life by Starr & Taggart

WTM Thread: Living Books for Biology

High School Biology with Living Books

Home Biology--secular home school biology blog

Integrated Principals of Zoology by Hickman

OM 11th grade Chemistry

Conceptual Chemistry

Home Chemistry--a blog dedicated to homeschool secular chemistry

OM 9th grade Environmental Science

OM 12th grade Physics (Saxon Physics--all math)

Home Physics--secular physics home school blog

Conceptual Physics: The High School Program

Kolbe Academy sells secular science textbooks, although the academy is Catholic.

I'll add more to this post on science, and write separate posts for other subjects.