Menu

TOG level question

Melabella

Okay, so I took the plunge and purchased TOG Y2 DE this weekend. I am trying to determine which books we will be using. My dd will be 6th grade and will have just turned 11 when we start. She has never studied the Middle Ages before (public school through 2nd grade and I didn't find WTM until the middle of her 4th grade year). She is ready for the Dialectic level, but there are so many books in the UG level that she has never read that I want her to read.

My question is this: How hard is it to do some UG work and some Dialectic work within the same unit? I think I would be adding some books in addition to the Dialectic and other times I would substitute. If that wouldn't work, should I consider UG for Units 1 and 2 and Dialectic for Units 3 and 4?

Easy to cross over however you like! Get started, then place her. I started by giving dd the D lit, before the cores, so she could get an idea of the level and volume increase. Then we crossed over to D cores. She still likes to listen in on the LG read alouds :)

Using D really gives you discussion opportunity. Once you get a feel for the program, you'll enjoy the discussions very much. You will need to read the cores in D though to accomplish this.

Are you saying I will have to read all of the history and literature books that she is reading for the discussion? I thought that's why they supply the Teacher's Notes.

ETA: Nevermind. After re-reading your post, I think you are saying that my daughter will have to read the D level books for the discussion.

Edited by Melabella