Menu

Best 2nd grade math program?

momto2Cs

We really love Math Mammoth! But I wouldn't say it involves a lot of hands-on or auditory work. Mostly my daughter reads the instructions and does the lesson with very little instruction from me. This works exceptionally well for us as she likes to do lots and lots of math, and so we need something for her that doesn't require me to constanly explain or interpret. Not to say you couldn't use MM in another way... it's just not what would come to mind for me when thinking of a hands-on, auditory approach to math.

Right Start is excellent for hands-on work. Be prepared, however, for the likelihood that you'll have to start in Level B after Saxon 1. Saxon's S&S is typically considered about a year behind most other curricula, which is why many families use Saxon 1 for the K5 year. I would encourage you to check out the excerpts of B here and C here. C does review the topics covered in B to a certain extent so it's possible a bright kid might be able to skip right into C. But B really does lay an excellent foundation for the later levels.

And I don't think a kid who completes RS C in 3rd would be "behind" as he/she would've covered just about everything on the CA state 3rd grade math standards with the exception of multiplication/division of a multi-digit number by a one digit number.