Menu

Least amount of science for CC

What is the least amount of science I can do at home for a science-oriented dd who will be taking her high school science classes at the local community college?

DD is currently doing Oak Meadow Environmental Science and it is very time consuming. I dislike the experiment portion of science programs and anything we try and "recreate" in the home is lacking compared to what she will be able to do at the community college and sucks a great deal of time from our day. I want to put in the least amount of time and resources needed in order for her to succeed at the community college level. She has the ability and desire to do well at the CC level. She can begin classes there as a sophomore in high school and will get all of her high school science credits there. I will make sure she has the math necessary to begin in 10th grade.

So, for those whose children have taken CC science classes, what science does she really need to do over the next three years? I was considering the Teaching Company lectures, but how much lab work is necessary in the jr. high / early high school years? Is it necessary to work through a basic high school text in Biology, Chemistry and Physics? Is it necessary to do all or most of the labs associated with the text? Would the TC lectures and the science she does on her own in her free time be enough? Is there a curriculum you would recommend?

If you have students who have taken CC science classes in high school, how difficult did your student(s) find the classes? What areas should we focus on - vocabulary, lab work, basic background information, writing skills?

Thanks!

In Minnesota, placement tests determine science, composition & mathematics courses. For example, Taz tested into linear algebra, but stepped back to review differential equations for a stronger mathematics foundation. Based on his math score, Taz could have taken pretty much any upper level science course, as long as he met the science prerequisite.

Once a student passes a course, then she can take any course the next semester that lists the passed course as a prerequisite.

What is the least amount of science I can do at home for a science-oriented dd who will be taking her high school science classes at the local community college?

DD is currently doing Oak Meadow Environmental Science and it is very time consuming. I dislike the experiment portion of science programs and anything we try and "recreate" in the home is lacking compared to what she will be able to do at the community college and sucks a great deal of time from our day. I want to put in the least amount of time and resources needed in order for her to succeed at the community college level. She has the ability and desire to do well at the CC level. She can begin classes there as a sophomore in high school and will get all of her high school science credits there. I will make sure she has the math necessary to begin in 10th grade.

So, for those whose children have taken CC science classes, what science does she really need to do over the next three years? I was considering the Teaching Company lectures, but how much lab work is necessary in the jr. high / early high school years? Is it necessary to work through a basic high school text in Biology, Chemistry and Physics? Is it necessary to do all or most of the labs associated with the text? Would the TC lectures and the science she does on her own in her free time be enough? Is there a curriculum you would recommend?

If you have students who have taken CC science classes in high school, how difficult did your student(s) find the classes? What areas should we focus on - vocabulary, lab work, basic background information, writing skills?

Thanks!

I would focus on vocabulary, background information, and writing skills. From what I've heard locally, homeschooled students who take college sciences "cold" (i.e. no high class before) tend to struggle, but not all. Several years ago the top graduate at the CC where I teach was a homeschooled daughter of a local vet who did all of her science at the CC in high school. Obviously a science-oriented family though...