Menu

MCT_ trying to figure it out

choirfarm

I like the look of MCT. I will definitely start from the beginning with my girl who will be in 3rd grade next year. I'm wondering about my boy who will be in 8th grade next year. Every grammar program I've used has failed, but probably more from not enough interaction from me and just expecting him to do it by handing him the book. Is there any way to somehow incorporate the 8th grader into what the 3rd grader is doing??? BTW, this boy isn't dumb. I just got his scores from the SAT that he took as part of the Duke tip program. He scored a 490 on writing ( the he got a 6..meaning a 3 out of 3 on the essay section(not great) on a 52 out of 80 on the multiple choice section which I believe is high for 7th grade. ) and a 520 on the critical reading. I have always had trouble because he just expects to look at something and understand like he thinks his gifted older brother can. He doesn't want to work at anything. So I'm thinking that the funny stories and interaction would be good for him, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to buy 2 levels. His SAT-10 scores every year have been in the 90 percentile on vocab, English and reading even though he hasn't done formal vocabulary or grammar very much if at all. However, he is a voracious reader.

Christine

I would buy more than 1 level, if it's at all possible financially.

I have a 7th grade daughter who is also a voracious reader and always scores well on the verbal portion of standardized tests. I also have a 5th grader and two 3rd graders. So what I did is to order the Island and Town levels of MCT. I know we're going to move through the Town level very quickly with my oldest daughter, but we're all enjoying it. The Island level is perfect for my 8 year old boys, and would not work for my older children. It WAS a huge amount of money, but I know I'll be able to use it with my younger children and then resell it. The only consumable part of the program is the practice books.