Menu

Blog help

Someone on these boards was kind to give me advice a couple of months ago about protecting my blog(I think it was the poster with the dunce cap:001_smile:)...I can't find the previous thread and I need help again. How to I protect my blog?

How to I back it up and what do I back it up too? A disk? When I backed it up to my computer it didn't show the pictures..would it show them if something happened to my computer and I imported it back to it? I want the pictures saved as well as the text. Please can you give me really, really dumbed down instructions?

On blogger, go to your dashboard, then to settings ( by new post and edit post), if you aren't on the BASIC tab, click it. AT the top is export blog, you can choose what drive or disk to save it to, like anything else you save on the internet. It will save everything for you. I save mine to a flash drive.

Holler if you need more help.

I fibbed, it will not save pictures, I save all my pictures on my orginal SD disks from my camera. Although I do resize and organize them, as I upload them to blogger.

Edited by alatexan68

Ok, here's the simplest way to do it (w/ the understanding that photo files will have to be saved separately, so if you are embedding photos, make sure to keep copies on your computer -- even better, in the same file where you'll be backing up your blog):

1. Log in to your dashboard.

2. Select "Tools" from the lefthand menu

3. Select "Export" from the dropdown menu under Tools

4. Make sure the "Restrict Author" drop down (middle of page) is set to "all authors" (just to make sure you don't miss anything)

5. Click "Download Export File"

6. Save File -- the name will be something like "wordpress.2010-whateverdates.xml"

I don't know what your camera uses, or if you even have a digital camera ? If you do, get a new disk for it each time yours fills up. SD is for digital cameras, a little square disk about 1 inch by 1 inch. You can save it on anything, an external drive, a flash drive looks like a stick about 2.5 inches lone and a 1/4 wide, a CD, whatever you wish. It depends on what your computer has or can read.

I didn't know what any of it was till about a year ago. Your not alone.

Alternately, you can install a plugin that backs your system up for you. To do that:

1. Login to your dashboard and click on "Plugins" from the left-hand menu.

2. Choose "Add New" from the Plugins drop down menu.

3. Search on the term "backup"

4. Choose a backup program -- I recommend WP-DB-Backup

5. Click on "install" in the row for that program. You'll get a popup menu. Click on the big red "install" button

6. You'll be brought to a new screen entitled "Installing Plugin" -- click on "activate plugin"

7. Now you edit the settings for your plugin -- go back to that lefthand menu and click on "Tools"

8. Choose "Backup" from the dropdown tools menu

9. Choose your backup options -- decide where you want your backups saved, how often you want it backed up, etc. I'd recommend weekly, unless you post a LOT.

Ah, ok, my instructions are for Wordpress. Blogger is a different platform, so different steps will apply.

Blogger now has a pretty easy import/export tool: http://buzz.blogger.com/2008/12/your-blog-your-data.html

To where are you uploading your pictures? Do you save them on your computer or to a photo hosting site? You shouldn't have to save anything on any kind of disk right now, as the blog can be saved directly to your computer.

I have an SLR camera with a disk I erase after I upload my pics.

I don't even know how to use 80% of the functions on it. I just bought it because other bloggers had it but I've been to lazy to read the instructions:lol:

I buy new disks and save my pictures each time. I never delete pictures. I have had computers crash and lost way to many pictures. You can put your pictures off your computer back onto disks if you purchase more. I take mine off, resize, crop and put them back on in files that have the same title as my blog posts. So that I won't ever lose them. Take your camera into Walmart, or any other place that carries camera's and they can show you what to get. Another option is the stick ( Flash Drive ) but I think they are a more unstable. Of course you can use a CD and put all your backups and pictures on it. The choice is totally yours.

I use my camera to point and shoot LOL It is nothing fancy.

Also, I don't save my pictures on the SD card (they can get lost or corrupted pretty easily, and are NOT a reliable storage method!). If you're concerned about space on your computer, burn them to a CD or DVD, or use a backup program like Carbonite (which I highly recommend).

Edited by smrtmama

So, for blogging purposes would you just save your blog photos to a different file or site? That way if something happened you would have those specific pictures you posted?

Thank you all for your help by the way..I love the step by steps smrtmama..aka dunce cap mama:001_smile:

Where do you save your photographs when you get them off your camera?

Also, I don't save my pictures on the SD card (they can get lost or corrupted pretty easily, and are NOT a reliable storage method!). If you're concerned about space on your computer, burn them to a CD or DVD, or use a backup program like Carbonite (which I highly recommend).

I highly recommend NOT relying on the SD card. I am paranoid about my pictures in the extreme. Every six months, I burn two CDs, and one goes to live at my mother's house. Every single time I upload pictures, they are uploaded to my laptop and the family desktop. The family desktop is backed up via Carbonite. Eventually I do have to remove pictures from my laptop due to space issues. The chance of all these things failing at once is astronomically small.

Smrtmama-

I upload them to my computer, then I transfer them to shutterfly, then erase them from my computer.

Another stupid question-can you burn your blog onto a dvd or cd?(Meaning like a cd you buy from Walmart?) and will that save your blog?

To me that sounds the easiest for a computer idiot like myself.

Would i just buy a computer dvd and download it to that? Would it save my pictures and text?

I highly recommend NOT relying on the SD card. I am paranoid about my pictures in the extreme. Every six months, I burn two CDs, and one goes to live at my mother's house. Every single time I upload pictures, they are uploaded to my laptop and the family desktop. The family desktop is backed up via Carbonite. Eventually I do have to remove pictures from my laptop due to space issues. The chance of all these things failing at once is astronomically small.

I don't have Carbonite yet, the economy has kicked us. Mine are on my computer, and on my SD cards, my daughter copies them over to CD's also. So really I guess they are on two cards, and CD LOL And both of our computers. I do plan to get Carbonite soon.

Smrtmama-

I upload them to my computer, then I transfer them to shutterfly, then erase them from my computer.

Another stupid question-can you burn your blog onto a dvd or cd?(Meaning like a cd you buy from Walmart?) and will that save your blog?

To me that sounds the easiest for a computer idiot like myself.

Would i just buy a computer dvd and download it to that? Would it save my pictures and text?

Ok, first step -- STOP deleting them from your computer! If you're worried about space, you can burn the pictures to CD/DVD or save them to an external hard drive (seriously, Carbonite -- it's dummy proof, affordable, and reliable).

Yes, you could save your blog to a DVD or CD, but there's no need to do that (it's not that big of a file) and you'd still have to go through all the steps of exporting the files. Best bet is to save it to a folder (in your "my documents" file maybe or on your computer's desktop) with an obvious name -- "Blog Backup" or something like that.

You'll always have to save your pictures separately (but if you're saving them to your computer or CD/DVD, don't worry about saving them a second time). I know it looks like they're part of the blog page, but like with any website, a picture is actually a separate file.

I have all my photos on the computer, practically. I never really print any because the get lost. I keep meaning to burn them to a CD too. I have a few CD's somewhere though and I can't remember where they are... so maybe CD isn't the best place to have them for me. I've been talking about getting an external hard drive to just store all the photos on as a backup. I think I'll look into Carbonite though.

I have all my photos on the computer, practically. I never really print any because the get lost. I keep meaning to burn them to a CD too. I have a few CD's somewhere though and I can't remember where they are... so maybe CD isn't the best place to have them for me. I've been talking about getting an external hard drive to just store all the photos on as a backup. I think I'll look into Carbonite though.

Yes, an external hard drive or Carbonite really is the best bet, but for people who can't make that kind of financial investment, CDs are a decent shorter-term alternative -- provided you have a careful labeling and storage system!

O.k. I won't delete my pics anymore-you have my word:001_smile:!

It seems like such a pain to have to save my pics from my blog separately...ugh..can't someone make a program to save all of it together?

So, now that I have the pics on my blog, do I just right click on the pic and save it to a file? Is there an easy way to do this?

O.k. I won't delete my pics anymore-you have my word:001_smile:!

It seems like such a pain to have to save my pics from my blog separately...ugh..can't someone make a program to save all of it together?

So, now that I have the pics on my blog, do I just right click on the pic and save it to a file? Is there an easy way to do this?

If you have the pictures saved somewhere (Shutterfly, your computer, etc.) no reason to save them directly from the blog. Should you ever lose your blog, you can always reupload the pictures from wherever you have them saved.

If the *only* place the photos exist is the blog, it's a good idea to save them to your computer. Right click and save is probably the best method to ensure that happens correctly.

If you use Blogger and don't go through a photo host site like Photobucket, then your pictures are all saved on Picasa. If you've never gone to Picasa Web Albums, you need to, because eventually you will reach your storage limit for pictures and they will start charging you. Best to know in advance how close you are to your limit. You can also manipulate photos there.