Menu

TT 4 question

Angel

A little more- I wanted to put my dd into TT 4 just a few months ago, but then I examined the table of contents and viewed sample pages (at Christian Book) and I realized that we would only need the last few lessons. At that point, I decided to work with her on my own to cement her multiplication facts. Or I could have just waited until next year and she would have placed into TT 5, but we were both tired of Abeka math. :) (and I already had TT 5 on hand)

We loved TT when we did it! They have said themselves that it is different levels than some other math curriculums, so basically TT4 would be more like 3rd grade math than 4th, TT5 like 4th, etc. That didn't bother us at all, we just used the level they (my dd and my ds just older than her) placed in. We didn't find TT until my DD was in 5th grade. She placed into TT Pre-Algebra, and did fine with that level! That's why I feel the advice from lovemykids is spot on---do the placement test first to see where TT places your child! I did NOT tell people my dd was doing pre-Algebra, I said she's doing well in math, since I don't think it IS at other curriculum's pre-algebra level. FOr example, there is NO WAY she would have been able to do CD P-A at all! So, if you know that going in, it can save surprises later if you switch to another math program.

Edited by Brindee

:iagree:

My kids started the year as approximate third graders, using another math program (RS math and Math On the Level), but halfway through the year we started TT 5 (in January), and we are really liking it so far. We've finished the first 20 lessons with pretty smooth sailing so far. (Only issues being a few terminology/methodology differences between it and RightStart math which we were using before. Those were quickly resolved.)

We haven't done a lot of work with decimals and fractions before, so I expect that we will need to slow down a bit when we get to those parts.

TT is working for us - my children were getting to the point that they were needing something that they could do more independently. I still stay close by and answer questions, but they like being able to mostly do it themselves.

:blush: Got busy over the weekend and forgot I posted.

I am trying to remember if I looked at the placement test. I have been all over the TT site. We are on les 58 of Saxon math and math is my least favorite subject to teach. I love the look of TT4 and more importantly dd LOVES it. She has been asking to do the online sample lessons AFTER her regular school work is done. She's done two or three so far and had no troubles. I find it much easier to let someone else explain the math lesson and I just give imput if needed. :D

It sounds like I would have no trouble going straight to TT4, but now I'm wondering if she could place straight into TT4 from where we are now in Saxon. It would be a breath of fresh air for all of us!

Thanks for the replies.

:blush: Got busy over the weekend and forgot I posted.

I am trying to remember if I looked at the placement test. I have been all over the TT site. We are on les 58 of Saxon math and math is my least favorite subject to teach. I love the look of TT4 and more importantly dd LOVES it. She has been asking to do the online sample lessons AFTER her regular school work is done. She's done two or three so far and had no troubles. I find it much easier to let someone else explain the math lesson and I just give imput if needed. :D

It sounds like I would have no trouble going straight to TT4, but now I'm wondering if she could place straight into TT4 from where we are now in Saxon. It would be a breath of fresh air for all of us!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm guessing that she could, as the first part of TT is revew. I'd still have her do the placement test, and see where that places her. If she were to be on the line between TT4 and TT5, I'm guessing she would do fine with 5, as, like I said above, there's a pretty extensive review period which would get her used to TT and remind her of what she's learned, then move on!

Best wishes figuring this out! :)