Menu

Guest momtoangels

Guest momtoangels

Hi. I am new to this group. I was working as a Kindergarten teacher until I had my daughter a couple of weeks ago and I plan on homeschooling my kids in the fall. I was wondering if anyone could share their opinion with me on which curriculum they like for each subject. My son is going into 3rd grade next year, but is already doing 3rd grade math and science this year. My daughter is 3. Also, any other info would be very much appreciated, I'm not really sure how to get started. Thank you!

God Bless! 40.gif

Natasha

God will never bring you to a place that he cannot bring you through.

Proud mommy of

Brandon born healthy on 9/24/02

Sara born healthy on 11/28/06

Abigail born into Jesus's loving arms on 2/23/09

Belle born into Jesus's loving arms on 2/24/09

Elizabeth Anne born healthy on 2/3/10

Hi. I am new to this group. I was working as a Kindergarten teacher until I had my daughter a couple of weeks ago and I plan on homeschooling my kids in the fall. I was wondering if anyone could share their opinion with me on which curriculum they like for each subject. My son is going into 3rd grade next year, but is already doing 3rd grade math and science this year. My daughter is 3. Also, any other info would be very much appreciated, I'm not really sure how to get started. Thank you!

God Bless! 40.gif

Natasha

God will never bring you to a place that he cannot bring you through.

Proud mommy of

Brandon born healthy on 9/24/02

Sara born healthy on 11/28/06

Abigail born into Jesus's loving arms on 2/23/09

Belle born into Jesus's loving arms on 2/24/09

Elizabeth Anne born healthy on 2/3/10

Welcome and Congratulations on your new baby!

You are going to hear a huge range of opinions on the best curriculum for each subject for each grade. My first recommendation, if you haven't done so already, is to read The Well-Trained Mind book that this site is based on. See if you can get a 2009 version. It lays out the why and how of a neo-classical education from birth on through to college applications/career planning. It's very practical. It might be better for you to get an overview first, and then you'll have a better idea of what you are looking for in a particular subject.

Hi!

Have you seen Cathy Duffy's Top 100 Picks? It talks about learning personalities and different curricula. What works for one kid might not work for another.

Just for fun...here's what we're doing this FALL...:D

3rd Grade:

Math: Singapore 3a, 3b and Intensive Practice, Mind Benders

LA: finish Level 1 of MCT (Grammar Island, MOTH, Sentence Island, etc), Writing With Ease 2 and 3

Reading: Sonlight Readers Core 3 and some selections from Oak Meadow

German I (can't make a decision on curriculum yet)

Science: Apologia's Astronomy and Journal, Apologia's Land Animals

Soc Studies: Sonlight Core 3, Trail Guide to US Geography

Korean

2nd Grade:

Oak Meadow 2nd grade, along with Writing With Ease, Horizons Math 2, Sonlight Core 3 (listening in) and Apologia's Land Animals and Astronomy

Korean

Kindergarten:

We've already s l o w l y started...

LA: CLE Learn to Read, BOB Books

Math: Singapore Earlybird A&B

Soc Studies: selections from Sonlight K (Living Long Ago and Wild Places)

Science: Selections from Sonlight K (Caterpillars and Butterflies, Eggs and Chicks, Tadpoles and Frogs, Under the Sea)

Good luck!

Guest momtoangels

Thanks for the great suggestions. I haven't read the WTM book, but will start there. I feel a little overwhelmed and not sure how to go about all this, but I'm glad I found this group. Thanks!

Congrats on your new baby!

You have more time than you think to wrap your mind around this. Definitely get your hands on WTM. She will give you some sound places to start. This board is also a HUGE help re: planning curriculum. I also like Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year By Year. Once you start learning about suggested materials, search for them here and you'll find oodles of reviews, as well as alternatives suggested by those who went a different direction. The process can be overwhelming at first, but it will start to gel with time.

You will likely have a bit of trial and error with some products, but there are so many things out there...you are going to eventually discover what works best for your children.

My dd is a lot like your ds. She will be officially entering 3rd grade in the fall, but she's working a year ahead in several subjects. That is only one great thing about homeschooling: being able to meet your children right where they are.

Best wishes to you on your new journey!

As much as I like TWTM, I feel the need to get some variation in here. A couple of other books I would recommend are The Unschooling Handbook and Everything You Need to Know about Homeschool Unit Studies. For me, even though we don't unschool, I like to keep those ideas in the back of my head. With the unit studies, again, though we don't use that as our main homeschool method, I do believe knowledge of that method comes in handy.

As far as curricula I love, I don't have a lot to say. I spent my first years of homeschooling doing most things my own way - just making up things to do and getting books at the library etc. I find that with my children at their current ages, I no longer have time for that approach and so have just recently turned to curriculum to get it all organized for me (or to at least get it partially organized for me). The only things I would say I really love at this point are History Odyssey level 1 and Saxon for Kindergarten level math.