Menu

Foundations of Western Civilization

Foundations of Western Civilizations was my 1st course with the Teaching Company. Disclaimer: I am not a homeschooler (so I can't help you decide if it can help you), but an adult seeking to get myself the education I never had!! I've since viewed maybe 10 more sets, currently watching Life Lessons from the Great Books, and have 3 more sets "waiting in the wings". (BTW - I'm hooked on the Teaching Company - starting with FoWC!)

There are a total of 48 lectures that range from Sumer (3000 BC) to Exploration (AD 1600). The 1st 28 lectures go thru late antiquity (AD 700) - does that cover the ancients?

I haven't got very far with The History of the Ancient World, so I can't help with that part.

I think FoWC would probably at least be a good supplement, and you could also use it to help teach how to take notes from a college lecture.

Just last week I finished watching Professor Noble's Late Antiquity: Crisis and Transformation - very good, also.

My only regret about FoWC is that it has turned into an expensive habit! At least it keeps me off the streets (as my mother says)!

This thread will help you...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89366&highlight=liza

I'm using the Foundations of Western Civilization DVDs with HOAW. I should be using Liza's schedule but things have been too stressful with a medical issue in the family this winter for me to even manage that. We're just throwing in the DVDs right now when we have some extra time at night. I'm fortunate in that my local library has them, and I can take them out again and again. At this point, I'm just considering the lectures previews or reviews of what dd will read in the book. (How's that for a justification of my mismanagement of ancient history?!!)

Dd is really enjoying HOAW. We floundered with different approaches to ancient history in the beginning of the year with none of them working well for dd, and ended up with SWB's book. It's been a great success, and I'm thankful that it finally helped us get into a good routine. I wish I had started it right away. It would have saved us a lot of time--and money!

Dd doesn't particularly enjoy FOWC, but the rest of us do. Dh and my mom also sit down with us to watch them when they can.

HTH!