Menu

Horizons vs CLE Math

Chloe

We used Horizons for K through 4th, did a semester of Singapore (found that we needed to return to a spiral program) and that's when I found CLE. SO I have NOT used the lower levels of CLE, my 7 yo is using 300 and my 10 yo is using 500. I think their spiraling is pretty similar. What I like so much about CLE is that their material is presented better to the student. I rarely have to help either child, they totally understand the CLE explanations and they're doing well.

I think the CLE is slightly ahead of Horizons in that the problems given are a bit more complex, but I honestly haven't compared them thoroughly. Looking at the scope and sequence, I knew they would continue to move ahead and that's all that mattered to me. My kids are already a grade level ahead in math. I LOVE that the drill is built in. With Horizons I had to supplement for drill. I'm also happy to find something that goes beyond 6th grade.

I would say between the two CLE has better explanations. CLE's teacher manuals have MUCH better explanations in them. The drill is built into their program where as with Horizons you have to supplement with that.

I can't say that one is better than the other. It all depends on what you want , how your child learns best. Some children need and thrive off of curriculum that has color in it. Some children find color to be distracting.

Either way they are both good math programs.

I agree that CLE has a better flow though.

Great! I definitely want something that flows well from one concept to another. I tried CLE for a short time last year, and my dc loved it. I, however, hated correcting it. The answer keys didn't seem to be set up well, and I hated the layout of the workbook pages. It just seemed like everything was all over the place. Horizons is more visually appealing to ME, and the answer key seems to be more organized, but my dc need something that explains concept well. I'm not mathy enough to teach it without good explanations written to the student. My dc do prefer spiral, but can't have something that moves too quickly.