Menu

Writing instruction in CLE Language Arts

Oak Knoll Mom

How do the writing sections in CLE Language Arts compare to R&S English? I'm particularly looking at 5th-8th grades. The WTM says that if you do the writing sections of R&S you don't need an additional writing program. Would CLE be the same, or do I need to add something else? (I'm leaning toward CLE b/c my mom has taught middle school grammar for 25 years and prefers CLE to R&S.)

TIA!

Edited by Oak Knoll Mom

Guest aquiverfull

We are using CLE 5 for LAs. As far as I could see there is very little writing contained in CLE. It's mostly just handwriting. Ex: List 8 things that are cold in cursive in your notebook, or copying a scripture. I think you are supposed to buy the Teaching Writing guide if you want to teach writing with CLE. I will definitely be supplementing writing.

At the front of the first Lightunit in the 400 level it says (and I believe it says this in every LightUnit):

"Creative Writing exercises are not included in the Language Arts LightUnits. However, LightUnits are shorter (15 lessons istead of 17) in order to give you some time for creative writing. We recommend On Teaching Writing: A Handbook as a source for varied and interesting creative writing ideas."

There's also a downloadable scope and sequence at their website that tells what writing is included in each of the LU's. There is some more formal format writing included throughout, but becomes more sparse in levels 600-800.

Personally, I like that I can add the composition instruction separately as each of my dc is so different in this area, but I appreciate the that the basics are given in the LU's.

Hth,

Edited by angela&4boys