Menu

What Comes After OPGTR?

Classically Minded

Do you need to add some other phonics review after finishing OPGTR? I've seen a lot of people on here using Explode the Code (ETC). I'm wondering if I should have my daughter do those while we are working towards finishing OPGTR? Or does your child just go to spelling and reading books when you finish the OPGTR?

Also, someone mentioned that All About Spelling (AAS) covers BOTH phonics and spelling, is this true?

Thanks in advance! ;)

We've done a couple things after finishing OPGTR.

1. nothing for spelling until 3rd grade (Spelling Power)

2. Spelling Workout A (and following), which WTM suggests beginning after finishing lesson #116 of OPGTR (my kids were K age at this point)

Best of all, we have our kids read, read, read.

We've done a couple things after finishing OPGTR.

1. nothing for spelling until 3rd grade (Spelling Power)

2. Spelling Workout A (and following), which WTM suggests beginning after finishing lesson #116 of OPGTR (my kids were K age at this point)

Best of all, we have our kids read, read, read.

That sounds like the plan I had intended to follow - we already have SWO A but are going to hold off on it for a while because dd doesn't care for it much right now. I had looked at getting SP as well but not sure on that one. I was thinking she would need something more than spelling after OPGTR but according to what I remember reading in WTM there isn't anymore phonics review. I did print off some free phonics worksheets from funfonix and dd loves those and they reinforce what she already knows. I wonder if that is enough? :confused:

I guess you have to figure out your purpose for more phonics review. Is it for spelling or to help your child read? By the time my children nears the end of OPGTR they can read quite well. So we use OPGTR to teach reading.

I then proceed to 1st grade with an emphasis on language arts - writing (WWE), grammar (FLL) and spelling. For the years we did SP, spelling waited until 3rd grade. I find those things provide more than enough in the language arts department.

Spelling Power is to be started at grade 3. Spelling Workout can be started earlier. I bought SP because I could reuse it with all our children. Yet we returned to SW because my kids can do it on their own.

SW may provide similar things to the phonics worksheets your printed out.

Spelling Power is to be started at grade 3. Spelling Workout can be started earlier. I bought SP because I could reuse it with all our children. Yet we returned to SW because my kids can do it on their own.

SW may provide similar things to the phonics worksheets your printed out.

Yes, I had read that SP wasn't to be started till age 8. She does need spelling and I had another post on that. What spurred this question today was that I saw a lot of people on here using ETC along with OPGTR and I was thinking maybe I was missing out on something? :confused:

I had read that AAS helps reinforce phonics along with spelling so it appealed to me even more. However, she is reading well and I believe by the time we finish OPGTR she will be great as far as reading is concerned.