Menu

TOG users: Question about Bookshelf Central

shanvan

I'm trying to put together booklists for next year (Year 2) so I can be alert for titles at upcoming curriculum sales. When I go to Bookshelf central and print the lists I keep finding that there are missing books. Has anyone else had the same problem?

To test their search engine I looked up art resources. We have been using Sister Wendy's Story of Painting from the library and I was thinking of buying it because we like it so much. No matter how I search their year plan lists it doesn't turn up. BUT...when I type in the title it's there and the description says it is used for multiple year plans. Now I am wondering just how complete the lists at Bookshelf are????

Maybe I should go through the units for year 2 myself to make a list???

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem with completeness of lists at Bookshelf?

Shannon

Ack! Don't tell me there are more books to buy...lol! :)

Just kidding, but I am interested in hearing the answers to this too.

I know you were kidding, but lest people get the wrong idea....

I use the booklists to CROSS OFF the ones I won't be using and narrow down my choices. I like a complete list because I sometimes like the alternate choices better, or will choose an especially good in depth book over the core history choice for the week. It really is up to you which books and how many to use.

I can't remember who posted, but yesterday someone wrote how difficult it is to explain TOG without actually having it in front of you. I agree. Anyway, the list of books is massive, but you choose what you use. That's what I like about it. It's a happy medium b/t designing your own and having it all done for you.

Shannon

Guest aquiverfull

Is the Sister Wendy book an alternate resource? I think the books at bookshelf central are just the core and in-depth readings, but not the alternate readings. Is that correct?

I think it is because you have to search for Multi Year books separatly. I don't think you can search for Multi Year books on the pull down menus at the top. Instead if you look on the left column under Tapestry of Grace Resources then Multi Year etc it will come up with the Multi Year books under rehetoric and art and actvities.

Not quiet sure why it's set up this way :)

hth

I just posted this on another similar thread, maybe it will help you:

at www.lampstandpress.com homepage on the left go down to Resource List under Highlights. On that page you will see a Primary Resource List Click Here. This requires a log in, but I'm pretty sure this is where I got my detailed list, just for the levels I need. After logging in, click on the Resource List (bottom left) again and you should get a page allowing you to select your search parameters. Does that help?

I think it is because you have to search for Multi Year books separatly. I don't think you can search for Multi Year books on the pull down menus at the top. Instead if you look on the left column under Tapestry of Grace Resources then Multi Year etc it will come up with the Multi Year books under rehetoric and art and actvities.

Not quiet sure why it's set up this way :)

hth

Thanks for trying to help me sort this out. Here is what I found at Bookshelf Central:

"Multi-year books and Read-Alouds (which encompass more than one level) will automatically populate into your search results"

On the left of the search there is no Multi-year choice. I've tried searching every which way and the Sister Wendy book doesn't ever show up.

Lampstand Press (TOG publishers) has a more reliable list on their site.

I was just able to do it. First on the left hand side (when you are on the homepage of bookshelf) under "catagories" click "Tapestry of Grace Resources" then click "Mulit Year" then "Rehetoric" then "Arts and Actvities" that will bring you to this page..

http://www.bookshelfcentral.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_27_35_433

Did it work this time?

I was just able to do it. First on the left hand side (when you are on the homepage of bookshelf) under "catagories" click "Tapestry of Grace Resources" then click "Mulit Year" then "Rehetoric" then "Arts and Actvities" that will bring you to this page..

http://www.bookshelfcentral.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_27_35_433

Did it work this time?

There is still a problem with their searches because even when I use this search (which is all the way to the left and I never realized was there!) if I just search by year I don't come up with all the resources. It's just too complicated and time consuming the way their search engines work. I'm thankful that Lampstand Press has the resource lists complete and easy to access. I think that is the best way to make a print out of all the possible choices. Prospective buyers will get a better idea of what book choices are available as long as they don't think they have to use them all!

Thank you for clearing up the Bookshelf searches and how they work. I'll have an easier time if I need to use their searches in the future.

Shannon

I agree it is all very confusing. I wish Bookshelf had it all in one place. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll forget to look somewhere :) and won't notice till I see it in that weeks assignment. I had forgotten about the resource list mentioned in the other thread. I'm glad someone mentioned that. I think that is the way to go.

Kerri :)