Menu

R&S English or Saxon Grammar & Writing

If you were going to afterschool a bright, advanced ds12 in grammar and writing (not that he's necessarily advanced in grammar & writing...he's a quick learner and things come very easily to him academically in most areas), what curriculum would you use? He's had a bit of Shurley (gr 4-part of 6th) and we did Jump In writing curriculum last year. He's back in ps now with lots of writing assignments, little writing instruction, and essentially no grammar instruction. He's doing fairly well in school...my concern is that he is not being prepared for the more rigorous classes that will come in a few years.

I'm considering R&S English 6 and 7 or Saxon Grammar & Writing 7. Then for next year, I'd move on to the next level in whichever one we chose...then in 9th I'd start focusing on some of the ACT/SAT prep type of workbooks.

I'm looking for something ds can work on fairly independently with discussion and/or perhaps completing much of it orallly. As it is for afterschooling, our time is limited, and I expect to have a fight with him about it. He previously did Saxon (up to Algebra I), didn't necessarily love it, so I'm a little concerned that the similarities might be a huge issue with him--although I think it might be a little more independent than R&S.

Have any of you used these programs for afterschooling? (Or homeschooling, of course). Are the teacher manuals necessary or helpful?

Any input is appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not either one. I'd do Easy Grammar Plus--succinct, direct, no diagramming--and Writing Strands.

...*unless* you want him to get all the other stuff in R&S: using reference materials, writing poetry, oral speaking, and so on. R&S's English series is *very* comprehensive.

AG works well in an afterschooling situation and is a solid grammar program that you can complete in 1-3 years depending on the schedule you choose. Once you complete Analytical Grammar, you're done with formal grammar. The author offers reinforcement books for completetion after AG that reviews previously taught grammar one page every two weeks.

Analytical Grammar

Edited by Carmen_and_Company

He's back in ps now with lots of writing assignments, little writing instruction, and essentially no grammar instruction. He's doing fairly well in school...my concern is that he is not being prepared for the more rigorous classes that will come in a few years.

:lurk5:

That sounds exactly like our district's writing program! :glare: