Menu

Anyone take a Beta Blocker such as Atenolol?

I was on an ACE Inhibitor, Lisinopril 10mg plus Atenolol 12.5mg. My Blood Pressure was really good. The 10mg of Lisinopril was not cutting it, and since I have high anxiety, my Dr thought instead of raising the dose of Lisinopril, to add in a small dose of BB. It worked like a charm.

So today, she took me off the Lisinopril, and just upped the dose of Atenolol to 25mg.

I am very nervous about only taking one medication, plus it just being a beta blocker. My pulse is already about 75BPM down from average 105 BPM, which has made me feel GREAT. But I am afraid with this upped dose, my pulse will drop TO low.

Do you think that a BB is really that effective on it's own to keep BP low?

How do you feel on your Beta Blocker if you take it?

I had no problems on the 12.5 dose at all.

I don't know much about beta-blockers but I know people that are on them for BP. If you feel great and your BP is good, that's wonderful!

My cardiologist won't put me on a beta blocker for PVCs because he says they are completely benign. My heart rate can be a bit high but he won't to put me on beta blockers for that either because the 24-hour monitor shows that my heart rate is low when I sleep, and he didn't want it to go any lower. My blood pressure is normal. Have you done the 24-hour monitor? If you have had heart rate that's on the high side due to anxiety, it could be lower when you sleep.

By the way, my PVCs went away when I started taking a calcium supplement with magnesium. I rarely have then now except when I have extreme stress and PMS at the same time.:glare:

I don't know much about beta-blockers but I know people that are on them for BP. If you feel great and your BP is good, that's wonderful!

My cardiologist won't put me on a beta blocker for PVCs because he says they are completely benign. My heart rate can be a bit high but he won't to put me on beta blockers for that either because the 24-hour monitor shows that my heart rate is low when I sleep, and he didn't want it to go any lower. My blood pressure is normal. Have you done the 24-hour monitor? If you have had heart rate that's on the high side due to anxiety, it could be lower when you sleep.

By the way, my PVCs went away when I started taking a calcium supplement with magnesium. I rarely have then now except when I have extreme stress and PMS at the same time.:glare:

I have had a ECG. Echo and 24 hour Halter monitor and it was all normal.

I do have anxiety.

High BP runs in my family, and no doubt I have high blood pressure. When I was on the very low dose of the Atenolol, I felt so much calmer. I am just afriad my heart rate will slow to much, and it will not lower my bp as effectively as the Lisinopril/Atenolol combo.

It sounds like a lot of people are on 50 mg, and I am only upping it to 25mg one time a day.

My first 25mg will be tomorrow. I hate taking new meds or upping doses, you never know how you are going to feel.

You can ask you pharmacist for ideas on the hypertension protocols and any recommendations and then ask you doctor. Have you ever been on diuretics or ARB's? From what I know meds are chosen based on your blood pressure and risk factors such as cardiac disease, diabetes, etc. WebMd.com and Mayoclinic.com both have reliable info:)

I have had a ECG. Echo and 24 hour Halter monitor and it was all normal.

I do have anxiety.

High BP runs in my family, and no doubt I have high blood pressure. When I was on the very low dose of the Atenolol, I felt so much calmer. I am just afriad my heart rate will slow to much, and it will not lower my bp as effectively as the Lisinopril/Atenolol combo.

It sounds like a lot of people are on 50 mg, and I am only upping it to 25mg one time a day.

My first 25mg will be tomorrow. I hate taking new meds or upping doses, you never know how you are going to feel.

I sympathize with taking new meds. At least you know you will be upping a dose of a medication that you tolerate well. If it doesn't work out, you can always reduce the dose again and go back to what you know has worked. Maybe the new regimen will work even better, and make you feel even better, too! :)

I have been on a diuretic and it does not agree with me. It depleted my potassium to quickly.

And yes, maybe just taking one pill will work even better with it being at a higher dose. My Dr feels my HBP is anxiety related for the most part. It would be nice to take only one pill, rather then two.

But, I guess if this doesn't work, I can always go back to what did work.

Thank you for all the responses:001_smile: