Menu

My 13 yo had an SLP evaluation today...

LizzyBee

My 13 yo is a smart girl, but she has a very difficult time with writing. I've realized that's it more than getting her ideas on paper - she also has a hard time expressing herself orally. I finally decided to ask my 8 yo's SLP if she thought dd13 should have an evaluation. She said yes, so dh took her to the appt today. I can't believe what she said. After hearing about dd's experience in ps K, she said it's a good thing we got her out of that environment and started homeschooling her, because she may have had selective mutism if she had stayed in ps! The 2nd half of the evaluation will be next week, so I'll be anxious to get the SLP's final conclusions and recommendations. I am again thankful that someone else sees what I see and affirmed our decision to homeschool. But I'm also concerned for what this means for dd's emotional health in the future!

Edited by LizzyBee

My 9 year old is somewhat like this. He has a very long history of delays in speech, fine motor and gross mother and an equally long history of speech therapy, OT and PT. I know that these services helped him and I'm glad (like you) that I can homeschool to his needs, though he is really doing well considering the severity of his initial delays. It is great that you are getting the information so you can decide how to best help her learn at home.:grouphug:

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter (10 now) was diagnosed with Selective Mutism when she was 5. The experts told us the best thing to do then was to keep her in PS, since she needed the social interaction in order to overcome her anxieties. I disagreed. I saw how unhappy my child was in the classroom. Regardless of how much her teacher wanted to help her, she wasn't able to give her the individualized attention due to classroom demands.

So I took my child out of PS. (The experts were not pleased with my actions!) Anyways, we have been homeschooling for the past four years, and it is going very well. I can spend the time necessary to work with my daughter to help her overcome her anxieties. Although she will never be a social butterfly, she has her interests (ballet and piano) and has developed deep friendships with many of the kids those areas. She attends birthday parties, sleepovers, and play dates at others' homes.

As for writing, my child has always struggled getting her thoughts on paper, too. So this is an area that I really have to spend a lot of time with her on. A very gentle (and very patient approach). She used to cringe and be in tears when I would ask her questions about what she has read. But now, it is becoming more comfortable for her ... still work to do in this area, but it is coming along. (I don't know about your child, but mine is a perfectionist.)

It sounds like you are getting closer to learning more about what makes your child special. Once you find out, you can further your research and find even more ways to help her. You are on the right track! :)

Not sure if any of this helps (or not). Feel free to ask me to clarify, since tend to be all over the board on this subject.