Menu

Hey Mad Jenny Flint...

Speaking of bad days and better days....

I copied down your schedule from another thread (which I am just too lazy to find at the moment) oh, about...two weeks ago (was it three? ETA: maybe 4? could it really have been that long ago?!?!?!)

Anyway, I adapted it just a bit to fit our schedule, so now my high schooler starts with Literature at 7:00 (we drink coffee and read/discuss together) and school is officially "over" at 5:30. He looks forward to having a definite time for guitar practice and exercise during the middle of the day, and I scheduled our family read-aloud from 3:15-4:00 to give us an incentive to finish up the hard stuff right after lunch.

That is not to say that he always finishes the assignments before 5:30, but we are both *so* much happier. We feel like we're really accomplishing things instead of just always spinning our wheels.

THANK YOU so much!

ps - I first posted this in Janice's thread, then thought you might not see it there. :tongue_smilie:

Where is this magic schedule? What am I missing?

:D

Here is the thread with Jenny's schedule.

I adapted as follows:

7:00 - Literature with Mom (Coffee, Discussions, Reading together)

8:15 - Breakfast, get ready for the day time

9:00 or so - Grammar, Vocabulary, Spelling

9:30 - practice guitar

10:00 - exercise

10:30 - Math (grab a snack while watching video)

11:40 - Bible

12:00 - Lunch

12:30 - Biology

1:30 or so - Logic, Memory

2:00 - Latin (class on Tuesday)

3:15 - Read Aloud

4:00 - History

4:45 - Writing

5:30 - school finished/Dinner

hth!

Re: how to prioritize - by schedule or by assignment. I told my son up front: we have to stay on track for the year in each subject, and if I notice we are falling behind, I will assign extra as necessary- either on the weekend or in slots where we can fit during the week. He has agreed to this, and is a conscientious worker. We haven't had to do too much of that yet. So, the schedule is the schedule, and if an assignment doesn't fit completely today, well, chances are that it will tomorrow. Sometimes parts of a lesson or certain lessons take a while, and other times they just move along more quickly. It all works itself out.

I am sure you have found your way with it by now, but it was a good question, so I thought I would throw that out there! I am really bad at following up on threads. I never mark them to follow, and am not even sure if I know how! :001_huh:

Re: how to prioritize - by schedule or by assignment. I told my son up front: we have to stay on track for the year in each subject, and if I notice we are falling behind, I will assign extra as necessary- either on the weekend or in slots where we can fit during the week. He has agreed to this, and is a conscientious worker. We haven't had to do too much of that yet. So, the schedule is the schedule, and if an assignment doesn't fit completely today, well, chances are that it will tomorrow. Sometimes parts of a lesson or certain lessons take a while, and other times they just move along more quickly. It all works itself out.

I am sure you have found your way with it by now, but it was a good question, so I thought I would throw that out there! I am really bad at following up on threads. I never mark them to follow, and am not even sure if I know how! :001_huh:

:lol::lol: That's OK, cause right now I'm going to pretend that I didn't just read your response!!! :lol::lol:

It's not you :D, it's just that all year I've had that same "we can't fall behind" mentality. But, with my 6th grader having a surprise appendectomy on Friday, my 9th grader didn't get anything done and I am still too pooped to care! I'm even thinking of just doing his online class til Thursday, and moving everything a week out.