Menu

TOG users

Quiver0f10

Could you please share how your week works? Right now my kids do their core and in depth reading on Monday and Tuesday, then answer the questions. They start lit on Monday and finish on Thursday completing the worksheet that day. Church History and Maps are done on Wednesday as were timelines but we seem to have dropped timelines somewhere along the way. We have a discussion on Friday.

I was looking over some sample schedules and noticed discussions on Wednesday which got me curious how other people work their weeks. If you do a Wednesday discussion do you also do one on Friday?

Edited by Quiver0f10

Could you please share how your week works? Right now my kids do their core and in depth reading on Monday and Tuesday, then answer the questions. They start lit on Monday and finish on Thursday completing the worksheet that day. Church History and Maps are done on Wednesday as were timelines but we seem to have dropped timelines somewhere along the way. We have a discussion on Friday.

I was looking over some sample schedules and noticed discussions on Wednesday which got me curious how other people work their weeks. If you do a Wednesday discussion do you also do one on Friday?

Hi Jean, I used to have discussion day on Thursday, but my dd really disliked that, because she felt that the week didn't end like it should. I agreed, so we switched last year to a new schedule which works much better.

I have D and UG levels. Here's how we do it:

Weekend: Both begin reading the history & in-depth reading.

Monday: they begin the lit, art, and enrichment readings (if any). They also complete the mapwork.

Tuesdays: they continue reading the above, with my D daughter beginning work on her Accountability Questions.

Wednesdays: they finish most reading except literature.

Thursdays: my D child turns in her Accountability Questions (in writing), and they finish the literature reading.

Friday: literature worksheets are due, any test/quizzes I've printed out are completed, and I have the discussion with my D daughter.

This has worked well for all of Year 2 so far (we're just about finished with Unit 3). The kids don't feel overloaded since they've read half the work over the weekend, and my dd is happy the week ends on Friday "like it's supposed to". She likes to feel that sense of relief & freedom when the discussion is done, since that's usually the last thing we do on Friday. Not that she doesn't like the discussion, she really does, but afterwards, it's time to play!

:bigear:

Anyone else? I didn't ask the question but the answers so far have been insightful. I'm very seriously considering TOG, currently working through one of the sample weeks. And real life schedules are nice to see to help figure it all out.

Cami,

I can tell you that after doing four years of SOTW, 2 years of Sonlight (3 & 4), both of which were EXCELLENT, TOG has allowed me a freedom and the kids an independence previously unheard of. The kids love the readings (I also add in some of the Sonlight literature), I love the ease of having everything all ready to go, and everybody likes the addition of crafts, which some in handy for the Unit Celebrations that TOG has inspired even this No-Fun Mom to do!

Looking back at my nervousness and stress at the beginning, I can hardly believe that was me. TOG is so much easier on ME than anything else I've used! The kids are learning a ton, and our talks prove it - I'm amazed especially at what my ESL son (with a few LDs) is retaining and comprehending.

Good luck with your decision!

Upper Grammar (usually less than 1.5 hours a day)

Friday: History core, begin literature, people to know (including President card), and geography

Monday: Literature, history in-depth, writing

Tuesday: Literature,finish history readings, copywork, begin hands-on

Wednesday: Finish literature (if 1 week), literature worksheet, writing, finish hands-on, review memory work

Thursday: TOG Co-op

Rhetoric (1.5-2hrs a day)

Friday: History core, geography, government reading and questions, look over last week's writing assignment

Monday: Finish history core (if needed), history in-depth, begin writing, finish any government questions

Tuesday: Finish in-depth history readings (if needed), answer questions, writing, philosophy readings and questions

Wednesday: Finish all questions, writing assignment. Philosophy & government discussion (done together), weekly quiz (sometimes just the essay from evaluations)

Jean,

As far as I can tell, the argument for the split-week makes sense because of the writing assignment. The child has a jump on the week, so he is ready to begin his writing assignment on Monday. This allows for the rough draft/final draft to coincide with scheduled Wed/Fri Mom-time. And it's only necessary for the D/R students. The UG/LG kids don't need to prep for a history discussions. Their week can be a M-F week with no problem; their writing assignments can easily begin on Tuesday or Wednesday. Think of your family as being on a M-F schedule with your D/R students just getting a jump on things by beginning a bit earlier than your little ones. The advantage of this is that your big kids are working independently on Monday and Tuesday which gives you time to read aloud/work with your little ones on those days. Get them started on a project by Tuesday. They can work on their own Wednesday during history time when you finally connect with your big kids. You're back with the little ones on Thursday and part of Friday - helping them with the write part of their history week.

For your D/R:

Thursday - Do map for next week's plan. Begin reading history for next week's plan.

Friday - Continue reading history for next week's plan.

Saturday - Begin reading literature for next week's plan.

Monday - Begin answering history questions for current week plan. Finish reading history. Meet with Mom to begin writing assignment. (The idea here is that most of the reading is done after the Monday history work, and most of the questions are either done or in progress. The child has something to write about.) Begin literature vocab cards and questions. Prep for recitation. Continue reading literature.

Tuesday - Finish up any history questions. Independently work on rough draft for writing assignment. Continue with literature.

Wednesday - History meeting with mom. Discuss current week plan. Read "General Information" page to introduce next week's material. Set up next week's schedule in planner. Writing - show mom your rough draft; discuss. Continue working on literature.

Thursday - Study for history quiz (if you're using evaluations). Work on finalizing writing assignment. Finish up literature. Begin the rotation as listed above for next week - begin history reading/map for next week.

Friday - Take a history quiz. Polish and submit writing assignment. Have a literature discussion. Set up next week's literature schedule in planner. Work on material for next week as listed above.

Make sense?

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Edited by Janice in NJ

Hello,

It really varies as to what is going on in the week and what I have assigned. I have a dialectic and a rhetoric, but I have completely redone the lit. For example, both boys did A Tale of Two Cities together with me rather than Great Expectation. i was gone for a week and they read the real version of Tom Sawyer with the dialectic worksheets (both in one week). This week they will both start Huckleberry Finn. Also, the 7th grader has been doing straight dialectic work for history until this unit. He is a Civil War buff, and could answer almost all of the dialectic questions without doing any reading. So he is doing rhetoric this unit and still thinks the accountability questions/charts are easy. Anyway, our week sort of goes like this, but as I said since I modify the writing and literature so heavily we often have strange deadlines.

Either Friday afternoon or Monday morning I hand out their worksheets, questions, charts etc. I have a syllabus for each quarter that they receive at the beginning that lists their reading, so they already have that.

To be honest, they read, do questions, maps and timelines as they see fit. I give them a deadline. For example, the week I left town, we had our history discussion on Thursday. Then on Friday I gave them the work for the following week. This week we will discuss on Monday what they did the week I was gone. Then I will handout their assignments. We discuss on Friday. I try to have literature discussions on different days than history just because it is too much talking/discussing for me as our history discussions normally take an hour to an hour and a half and I need to work with my 8yo. We take out our maps and discuss them as we do our history. We tend to discuss church history every two or three weeks...basically after a book is done.

Now my lower grammar girl we do it VERY loosely. To be honest I'm not really doing TOG exactly with her. I just pick a book or two to read with her each week. Sometimes we do an activity, sometimes not. Math and phonics are her focus.

Christine

Thank you all!

Upper Grammar (usually less than 1.5 hours a day)

Friday: History core, begin literature, people to know (including President card), and geography

Monday: Literature, history in-depth, writing

Tuesday: Literature,finish history readings, copywork, begin hands-on

Wednesday: Finish literature (if 1 week), literature worksheet, writing, finish hands-on, review memory work

Rhetoric (1.5-2hrs a day)

Friday: History core, geography, government reading and questions, look over last week's writing assignment

Monday: Finish history core (if needed), history in-depth, begin writing, finish any government questions

Tuesday: Finish in-depth history readings (if needed), answer questions, writing, philosophy readings and questions

Wednesday: Finish all questions, writing assignment. Philosophy & government discussion (done together), weekly quiz (sometimes just the essay from evaluations)

Karen, is you R level doing TOG lit? If not, what are you using?

Jean,

As far as I can tell, the argument for the split-week makes sense because of the writing assignment. The child has a jump on the week, so he is ready to begin his writing assignment on Monday. This allows for the rough draft/final draft to coincide with scheduled Wed/Fri Mom-time. And it's only necessary for the D/R students. The UG/LG kids don't need to prep for a history discussions. Their week can be a M-F week with no problem; their writing assignments can easily begin on Tuesday or Wednesday. Think of your family as being on a M-F schedule with your D/R students just getting a jump on things by beginning a bit earlier than your little ones. The advantage of this is that your big kids are working independently on Monday and Tuesday which gives you time to read aloud/work with your little ones on those days. Get them started on a project by Tuesday. They can work on their own Wednesday during history time when you finally connect with your big kids. You're back with the little ones on Thursday and part of Friday - helping them with the write part of their history week.

For your D/R:

Thursday - Do map for next week's plan. Begin reading history for next week's plan.

Friday - Continue reading history for next week's plan.

Saturday - Begin reading literature for next week's plan.

Monday - Begin answering history questions for current week plan. Finish reading history. Meet with Mom to begin writing assignment. (The idea here is that most of the reading is done after the Monday history work, and most of the questions are either done or in progress. The child has something to write about.) Begin literature vocab cards and questions. Prep for recitation. Continue reading literature.

Tuesday - Finish up any history questions. Independently work on rough draft for writing assignment. Continue with literature.

Wednesday - History meeting with mom. Discuss current week plan. Read "General Information" page to introduce next week's material. Set up next week's schedule in planner. Writing - show mom your rough draft; discuss. Continue working on literature.

Thursday - Study for history quiz (if you're using evaluations). Work on finalizing writing assignment. Finish up literature. Begin the rotation as listed above for next week - begin history reading/map for next week.

Friday - Take a history quiz. Polish and submit writing assignment. Have a literature discussion. Set up next week's literature schedule in planner. Work on material for next week as listed above.

Make sense?

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Thanks, Janice. This does make sense and I think I am going to try it next week. We have been having one big meeting on Friday but I haven't been happy with it and I think twice a week would be better.