Menu

Math Mammoth ?

courtney.byrum

I'm planning to purchase MM but am trying to decide what exactly I want to purchase. Do you think it would be useful to just buy the whole package (lt. blue, blue, green/gold). I know I want the blue for the grade lvl format but some lt blue books will be useful.

Has anyone used any of the green/gold worksheets?

Her package deal is $150 for all of it (which is $120 after hsbc discount) so it almost seems worth it to just have it all just in case.

ETA: I forgot to mention. DS5 will be using 2b or 3a to start but DD4 would start at the beginning

I had the same question. I ended up just getting one book. I'm glad I did because dd hated it. I thought it was great for her, but it wasn't worth the fight. You can try some of the free sample lessons. I would advise that before purchasing the whole thing. Good luck!

I'm planning to purchase MM but am trying to decide what exactly I want to purchase. Do you think it would be useful to just buy the whole package (lt. blue, blue, green/gold). I know I want the blue for the grade lvl format but some lt blue books will be useful.

Just to clarify: it's the Light Blue series that are grade leveled (e.g. 4a, 4b). The content in the Blue and Lt Blue books is identical, just organized in a different way, so you don't need both of those. You would just be getting two copies of all the worksheets.

I don't think you'd need the Green or Gold books either. There are plenty of practice problems in the worktexts, and if you feel you need a bit more practice in a particular area, you can either use the Soft-Pak software (included with MM) to print out some review sheets, or just buy the Green book for that particular topic (like fractions, geometry, or whatever). The Green and Gold books are designed more for classrooms or tutors.

I think the Light Blue package is the best, most efficient deal: $80 with the discount for complete grades 1-5, plus the Soft-Pak software. You really don't need any more than that.

Jackie

I would start with just the light blue grade level. You might find you don't need the individual blue subjects because the light blue series is a complete curriculum. I hope I have my colors right. It also comes with extra chapter reviews and you can print extra worksheets for more practice if needed. Each page has quite a bit of practice on them already, so I usually just have my son do every other problem. I have the Telling Time book, but to be honest the complete curriculum had enough on time that I have never used it.

Just to clarify: it's the Light Blue series that are grade leveled (e.g. 4a, 4b). The content in the Blue and Lt Blue books is identical, just organized in a different way, so you don't need both of those. You would just be getting two copies of all the worksheets.

I don't think you'd need the Green or Gold books either. There are plenty of practice problems in the worktexts, and if you feel you need a bit more practice in a particular area, you can either use the Soft-Pak software (included with MM) to print out some review sheets, or just buy the Green book for that particular topic (like fractions, geometry, or whatever). The Green and Gold books are designed more for classrooms or tutors.

I think the Light Blue package is the best, most efficient deal: $80 with the discount for complete grades 1-5, plus the Soft-Pak software. You really don't need any more than that.

Jackie

Thanks, I did mean lt. blue, oops!

So do you think it would still be fairly easy to find the parts of earlier levels that are needed (money, time, etc)? While he would probably start at 3 I know I would want him to do more review on those areas. I don't have an issue buying the whole grade lvl package as I have 2 who will use it and DS will fly through parts of it anyways but don't want to waste money on stuff that I won't ever need for sure :)

I would start with just the light blue grade level. You might find you don't need the individual blue subjects because the light blue series is a complete curriculum. I hope I have my colors right. It also comes with extra chapter reviews and you can print extra worksheets for more practice if needed. Each page has quite a bit of practice on them already, so I usually just have my son do every other problem. I have the Telling Time book, but to be honest the complete curriculum had enough on time that I have never used it.

So do you think it would still be fairly easy to find the parts of earlier levels that are needed (money, time, etc)? While he would probably start at 3 I know I would want him to do more review on those areas. I don't have an issue buying the whole grade lvl package as I have 2 who will use it and DS will fly through parts of it anyways but don't want to waste money on stuff that I won't ever need for sure :)

Yes, the table of contents lists the topic for every single lesson, so it would be very easy to just look up the lessons on time or money from the 1st and 2nd grade levels and print them out for extra review before he covers those topics in the 3rd grade book. In fact, I think it would be harder to use the Blue books this way, because you wouldn't know which lessons were in the 3rd grade book without comparing the Money book with the money lessons in MM3, lesson by lesson.

The way I use MM is I print out 20-30 lessons at a time, hole-punch them, and put them behind a plastic tab in a binder. I keep a copy of the table of contents in the front of the binder. Each day I take the top lesson from behind the tab, and when it's completed I put it in front of the tab and mark it complete on the TOC, with the date and a short comment ("excellent," "struggled with carrying," etc.) next to the lesson title. Super easy to keep track of where she is, what topics she got instantly and which ones were a bit more difficult, etc.

Jackie

Yes, the table of contents lists the topic for every single lesson, so it would be very easy to just look up the lessons on time or money from the 1st and 2nd grade levels and print them out for extra review before he covers those topics in the 3rd grade book. In fact, I think it would be harder to use the Blue books this way, because you wouldn't know which lessons were in the 3rd grade book without comparing the Money book with the money lessons in MM3, lesson by lesson.

The way I use MM is I print out 20-30 lessons at a time, hole-punch them, and put them behind a plastic tab in a binder. I keep a copy of the table of contents in the front of the binder. Each day I take the top lesson from behind the tab, and when it's completed I put it in front of the tab and mark it complete on the TOC, with the date and a short comment ("excellent," "struggled with carrying," etc.) next to the lesson title. Super easy to keep track of where she is, what topics she got instantly and which ones were a bit more difficult, etc.

Jackie

Cool! And a huge thank you for posting how you use it. That seems like a very simple plan to follow :)