Menu

Weston's Rulebook for Arguments

I'm trying to follow SWB's method for teaching rhetoric/writing by outlining a section from Weston's book (that's easy!) and then doing a writing assignment for each section (that's where I'm stuck!) It sounds very easy in the writing lecture and TWTM, i.e. read the section on writing a "slanted piece" and then write a slanted piece, but in fact I'm having trouble coming up with the writing ideas.

Anyone else going this path? Any ideas, thoughts, encouragements?

Thanks!

I'm trying to follow SWB's method for teaching rhetoric/writing by outlining a section from Weston's book (that's easy!) and then doing a writing assignment for each section (that's where I'm stuck!) It sounds very easy in the writing lecture and TWTM, i.e. read the section on writing a "slanted piece" and then write a slanted piece, but in fact I'm having trouble coming up with the writing ideas.

Anyone else going this path? Any ideas, thoughts, encouragements?

Thanks!

I opted out of that route for this school year, but now that it's had some time to simmer I realized that I should/would/could have used the Weston just as I used IEW by using content from history, literature, or science. So, for instance, use whatever big event your kids just studied in history as the "setting" if you will for your argument. You could place your essay *before* the actual event, and argue for or against a particular action. Or, having the benefit of hindsight, you could judge the participants in some way, or analyze the consequences of the event and whether you feel it was a wise or foolish or immoral happening.

Of course, it's always easier to do in theory than in reality!

Good luck!