Menu

Check your bill when you book a hotel online. Lesson learned.

I booked a hotel for the weekend, and chose a deluxe room. On the email confirmation, it specifically said "deluxe room". I didn't pay too much attention to the total bill, because there are always taxes and surcharges that make it higher than the room total.

I just happened to look at the hotelreservations.com website, and realized that my bill was too high. I was charged for a deluxe + breakfast room, which is $20 more. Since we're staying for 3 days, it's substantial. I thought no problem, I'll just call and downgrade.

Turns out if you want to do that, they have to cancel your reservation and rebook. Which results in a one night room charge penalty. :banghead:

This just infuriates me. I know I picked the deluxe room without breakfast, and I have a record of it. Apparently they just hope you're not paying attention. It took me 3 separate phone calls but I eventually got it fixed.

I know I picked the deluxe room without breakfast, and I have a record of it. Apparently they just hope you're not paying attention. It took me 3 separate phone calls but I eventually got it fixed.
Creating a record of online transactions is critical.

If you ever rent a car, check your final bill for fuel and mileage charges. Keep your fuel receipt to prove you filled it up.

Glad you were persistent and got it straightened out.

This is why I print off everything and save it. I also doublecheck before I pay. There have been several times when my room has been upgraded for me. In a way, I think online hotel is a rip off. The rooms are often nonrefundable if you cancel (no matter how far hard or whether they are able to rebook the room) But we still do online sometimes to save money. But I am suoer careful-I drive my hubby nutty with it.