Menu

CLE diagnostic placement test ???

I called yesterday and spoke w/the person at CLE about the placement test. She recommend that I test my son in 300-400 for 5th grade. So, I did. Yesterday he took and passed the 300 level. Today, he took the 400 level and made 67. Now, I realize that 70 and above is passing...but....is this close enough to put him in grade 5 or should I start at 4th grade (400)??

I know this is just one of those, "what would you do" scenarios....but, what would you do? :bigear: I would love to put him on grade level, but I have NO experience w/this program and I don't want to overwhelm him either.

His weaknesses on the test were:

1. punctuation- commas (specifically quotation marks, he pretty much understands everything else)
  2. sentences- fragments/run ons/diagramming (we haven't covered these yet)
  3. verbs

These are the areas that he missed more than half of the problems. So, I know these are areas we will have to concentrate the most on to be successful. For those of you w/experience in grade 5, do you think my son will have a hard time keeping up or understanding this level ?

Thanks in advance!

Bethany

We placed my son one grade below based on the placement test and I'm glad we did. My 6th grader is moving through 2 or 3 lessons a day in the 500 level. He had a decent grammar background, but the 500 level isn't too easy for him. I'd recommend going by the placement test and fast-tracking through it. Since the cost of CLE is so reasonable I think it's worth it.

:001_smile:

I would do some sample pages and teach the specific concepts that he missed. I would order level 500. I think the first lightunit has some review. Please correct me if I am wrong. :)

I ordered level 500 for my 9.5-yo who just barely squeaked past level 400 on the diagnostic. The questions she missed were in topics she'd never seen before, so I'll just teach her what she needs to know. :)

I would do some sample pages and teach the specific concepts that he missed. I would order level 500. I think the first lightunit has some review. Please correct me if I am wrong. :)

I ordered level 500 for my 9.5-yo who just barely squeaked past level 400 on the diagnostic. The questions she missed were in topics she'd never seen before, so I'll just teach her what she needs to know. :)

I realize you're talking about the LA, but I think the principal is the same.

We were about a half a year behind and I decided I would just teach him what he needed to know. We're about halfway through the year and it's been a bumpy road, but things are finally starting to click.

All that to say... If you move him up to the next level, be prepared that it make take awhile for things to go smoothly.

You *can* move him forward, but if you do he may not do as well as you hope. That said, there is a lot of review built into the program. If you move slowly through the material they don't understand, it may not be an issue. You can also get the extra practice work.

Yacko passed the 500 level almost literally by the skin of his teeth and he does struggle some with parts of speech and diagramming, but he's starting to "get it" now and move more quickly. Wacko really struggled with the same things, but has rapidly overcome that now that he's been exposed to the concepts - he was in public school last year and had never even seen a sentence diagram before.