Menu

How much time for LL?

Jen in PA

We started out spending 30 minutes a day, five days a week at the beginning of the year. I took a good look at it at our halfway point and went "eek! we're going to finish by February 15 at this rate! it's not a race!" and we cut back to 15 minutes a day, five days a week, with one of those days being devoted solely to review and playing the vocabulary games. She'll still finish it up in late March or early April.

Now, we chose NOT to do the "Make Your Own History Book" pages. Dd still reads the history and does the review pages but she doesn't do the specific book stuff. And, honestly, on the days that it's a history reading, I could probably easily have her do more. Yesterday she just did flashcards (~5 minutes) and read 2 pages about Scipio, which took about 8 minutes put together. Today was similar. Soo... I could probably require more each day again, but I've chosen not to.

HTH

Well, my dd just started today, so I can't speak from experience. I'm working on a set of assignments to break it into 15 - 30 minute chunks. I copied the audio files onto our family ipod so that she can listen to the vocabulary more easily. The book pages are separated into different sections of her Latin notebook (per the instructions in "Getting Started") so I've told her which divider has which pages for each assignment.

To give you a better idea of what I mean, here's what I've got so far....

Assignment 1

History: Read “Why Do We Study Latin?” and “Who Speaks Latin Today?”.

History: Complete the map and coloring exercises.

Derivatives: Read “Languages of the World”.

Derivatives: Complete the coloring exercise on “Languages of the World”.

Derivatives: Read “Languages, Languages, Languages!” and “The Family Tree of Languages”.

Derivatives: Fill in the blanks and color on pp. xi – xii.

History: Read “The Mysterious French Connection”.

Optional Extras:

After school, visit the links mentioned in today’s lesson.

Assignment 2

History: Read the instructions on pp. xvi – xvii on how to fill out your “Timeline of Languages”.

History: Fill out your “Timeline of Ancient Languages”.

Lessons: Read “Pick a Latin Name: Classical Pronunciation”, pp. xviii – xix.

iPod: Listen to “Pick a Latin Name”.

Lessons: Write your Latin name on the line on p. xix.

Assignment 3

Lessons: Read and complete Lesson 1.1, pp. 1 – 2.

Lessons: Read and complete Lesson 1.2, pp. 3 – 4.

Vocabulary: Read “How to Study Latin Vocabulary”, p. 5.

iPod and Vocabulary: Listen to “Vocabulary A – Classical” and repeat the words out loud while you read “Vocabulary A”, p. 6. Listen to this five times. Check a box for each time you listen: □ □ □ □ □

We started out spending 30 minutes a day, five days a week at the beginning of the year. I took a good look at it at our halfway point and went "eek! we're going to finish by February 15 at this rate! it's not a race!" and we cut back to 15 minutes a day, five days a week, with one of those days being devoted solely to review and playing the vocabulary games. She'll still finish it up in late March or early April.

Now, we chose NOT to do the "Make Your Own History Book" pages. Dd still reads the history and does the review pages but she doesn't do the specific book stuff. And, honestly, on the days that it's a history reading, I could probably easily have her do more. Yesterday she just did flashcards (~5 minutes) and read 2 pages about Scipio, which took about 8 minutes put together. Today was similar. Soo... I could probably require more each day again, but I've chosen not to.

HTH

This is what I needed to know! We spend about 15 minutes a day on Minimus, 4 days a week. Honestly, it's hard to stretch it much beyond that because dd will gladly study the vocab on her own outside of school time. I wanted to make sure we weren't jumping into something that would require a massive increase in time. Thanks so much!

Well, my dd just started today, so I can't speak from experience. I'm working on a set of assignments to break it into 15 - 30 minute chunks. I copied the audio files onto our family ipod so that she can listen to the vocabulary more easily. The book pages are separated into different sections of her Latin notebook (per the instructions in "Getting Started") so I've told her which divider has which pages for each assignment.

To give you a better idea of what I mean, here's what I've got so far....

Assignment 1

History: Read “Why Do We Study Latin?” and “Who Speaks Latin Today?”.

History: Complete the map and coloring exercises.

Derivatives: Read “Languages of the World”.

Derivatives: Complete the coloring exercise on “Languages of the World”.

Derivatives: Read “Languages, Languages, Languages!” and “The Family Tree of Languages”.

Derivatives: Fill in the blanks and color on pp. xi – xii.

History: Read “The Mysterious French Connection”.

Optional Extras:

After school, visit the links mentioned in today’s lesson.

Assignment 2

History: Read the instructions on pp. xvi – xvii on how to fill out your “Timeline of Languages”.

History: Fill out your “Timeline of Ancient Languages”.

Lessons: Read “Pick a Latin Name: Classical Pronunciation”, pp. xviii – xix.

iPod: Listen to “Pick a Latin Name”.

Lessons: Write your Latin name on the line on p. xix.

Assignment 3

Lessons: Read and complete Lesson 1.1, pp. 1 – 2.

Lessons: Read and complete Lesson 1.2, pp. 3 – 4.

Vocabulary: Read “How to Study Latin Vocabulary”, p. 5.

iPod and Vocabulary: Listen to “Vocabulary A – Classical” and repeat the words out loud while you read “Vocabulary A”, p. 6. Listen to this five times. Check a box for each time you listen: □ □ □ □ □

I am even more reassured to see someone else breaking it down into chunks of no more than 30 minutes. Thanks for the detailed ideas!

I want to add that it's going to depend on the kid, too. When ds was 6, he wasn't reading much. We did all assignments orally, and it went very slowly indeed. Dd6 is reading quite a bit more than he was.

That said, in 45 min, my ds (now 8) who is near the end of BBoLL1, does about two pages worth of exercises in a 30 minute period. He's a notorious foot-dragger, but there it is. He would not, at eight, be able to finish Veritaserum's 30 minute plans. I suspect that dd6 will do more, but how much more I do not yet know. Nor are we in a big hurry...that's one of the nice things about the Big Books. There's a lot of info there. They last a long time.

Now, if only there was a Lively Greek!

I want to add that it's going to depend on the kid, too. When ds was 6, he wasn't reading much. We did all assignments orally, and it went very slowly indeed. Dd6 is reading quite a bit more than he was.

That said, in 45 min, my ds (now 8) who is near the end of BBoLL1, does about two pages worth of exercises in a 30 minute period. He's a notorious foot-dragger, but there it is. He would not, at eight, be able to finish Veritaserum's 30 minute plans. I suspect that dd6 will do more, but how much more I do not yet know. Nor are we in a big hurry...that's one of the nice things about the Big Books. There's a lot of info there. They last a long time.

Now, if only there was a Lively Greek!

Absolutely agree on the not being in a hurry -- I know what I want to do with Latin, but I don't have a strict timeline. Right now dd is loving it, so we will just follow her lead.

I would say we do about 15 minutes 3 times a week. My 10 year old son will do a couple of pages of lesson/exercise or history lesson and practice his vocab. We may stretch it out over 1 1/2 years at this rate but that is fine. Hopefully, he is getting more time to let it "sink in." :)