Menu

math - science prerequisites

I need help deciding what to do next year. My 13 yo son is finishing up biology and algebra I this year. We started the year calling it 9th grade, but quickly decided to make it another 8th grade year - he just wasn't doing high school level work (and, he is young, too). So, next year will be 9th grade. He is doing well in biology - making an A in that outside class.

However, he struggles with Algebra. I can't imagine moving him on to algebra II next year. We use Saxon, but I'm thinking about adding a year of geometry. Will adding a year of geometry (an growing another year older) help him get ready for algebra II? Do geometry courses review algebra so he doesn't forget it? And what do I do about science? He probably shouldn't take chemistry if he isn't studying algebra II. What science could he take?

Thanks,

Tracie

I'd say physics would be out. Even for conceptual physics you need a bit of algebra.

But there are lots of other sciences. He could do something more specialized in biology like botany or entomology or anything else that interests him.

Geology is an option. And maybe astronomy, if one didn't get into astrophysics. Or oceanography or meteorology.

A hands on electronics course might also be fun.

These days, most geometry courses do use algebra, so there is some review.

Do I need a lab or could this be a study-at-home course? His biology won't be on his HS transcript, since this is now 8th grade. How many science labs are usually required? He'll have 10th, 11th & 12th grades remaining, but I was hoping to drop science in 12th so he can concentrate on pre-law studies. (Surprise - this is not my mathy kid!) Will 2 lab sciences be enough?

Will 2 lab sciences be enough?

For many colleges, two lab sciences would be adequate. More selective colleges, however, often look for three or even four years of high school science. If you have an idea of what colleges your son might apply to, I'd recommend looking at their requirements.

Regards,

Kareni

Saxon has a separate geometry book that has been out for a year or two. It has quite a bit of algebra review built into it.

You could do earth science with a lab. I know that is being done at a few local high schools in ninth grade..

I agree with the posters that suggest you keep on truckin'.

I'd go with the Saxon Geometry book that reviews algebra, or another geometry book that reviews algebra. You can go more slowly to make sure that he understands, doing extra problems for reinforcement if necessary. I would also recommend that you do Apologia Chemistry, for which only Algebra I is recommended as a prerequisite.

You might also want to consider having him do selected lessons of either his Saxon Algebra I course or another course such as TT over the summer as review. It is better if he does not have a break to forget.

You are right - another year of maturity with also help.

Blessings,

GardenMom