Menu

So, those of you using Gileskirk...

Can anyone tell me what is going on with the Gileskirk curriculum? I have had my eye on it for a couple years now, planning to start it in another year. But now, I don't know whether that is a good idea. Does anyone know what is going on? I can't buy all four modules before the last date of sale. And I haven't ever found the materials for re-sale.

So, I'm glad I noticed this thread. I've wanted every single course by Grant for my own benefit!

After reading the previous comments, I went straight to the Gileskirk site and read the info. The first thing I noticed were the typos (or incorrect grammar) in the posting. Just those gave me pause about what quality these materials might be.

Does anyone know what has happened to cause the seemingly bad blood between the two parties?

Sooooo, if you were considering (craving, just-shy-of-coveting) buying all the courses (Antiquity, Christendom, Modernity, and American History)......would you purchase DVDs or CDs?

That is one of the things that makes the decision to purchase so difficult: trying to make this choice. One friend recommended the DVD's handsdown. Another got just the CD's' and loved it, but said if she could have, she would have gotten the DVD's. I had just about decided that by purchasing just one module per year, we could afford the DVD's. Alas, now . . .

I am trying to think which would be more usable for us. We can listen with less fanfare than we can watch; we can even listen in the car. But watching seems to be more efficient for us, because it keeps us focused on the speaker. No one seems to think he can read something else while watching a DVD, whereas some (I have boys) seem to have no problem with walking out on a speaker they can't see.

I have watched many of the Version I lectures on Modernity on VHS, and didn't find them any more engaging than an audio, and I am a visual learner! You couldn't even read the overhead projections, although I believe all his visuals are included in the curriculum CD-ROM. They were not "professionally" recorded. But that was Version I; the others may be better produced.

• 3 weeks later...

There is currently a special offer at Gileskirk.com: all four sets of CD's plus the curriculum CD-ROM for the price of three. For those wanting DVD's, you might be able to inquire about something comparable; I know of one mom who worked something out, not 4-for-3, but still a discount.