Menu

A good freading program for a reluctant 10 yr old

delaney

What to recommend depends on what her issues are. If speed is the only issue, then timed repeated readings will help. My youngest is dyslexic. Her reading comprehension was horrible because her reading speed was so slow that she forgot what she'd read by the time she finished reading. Timed repeated readings increased her reading speed and took care of the comprehension issue. I used the DIBELS Oral Reading Fluency passages, starting at 1st grade level and working up from there with a goal speed of 100wpm. That was when my dd was in 3rd grade. For a 5th grader, I would try a goal speed of 130-140wpm.

If decoding is the actual issue, then you need to go back to work on decoding. The placement test online at the Abecedarian website is good for this. http://www.abcdrp.com/samples2006/ABCDAssessment.pdf

This test will help you figure out where your dd's issues are. I haven't ever used Abecedarian, but I have read good things about it. I used Phonics for Reading from Curriculum Associates and then Rewards Reading.

If multisyllable words are the primary culprit, then Rewards Reading Intermediate is likely to help. She needs to be solid on cvc words before starting this program. For Rewards Intermediate you must have the teacher book and the student workbook.