Menu

Need a book recommendation to help dd10 learn how to be a healthy vegetarian

Dd10 has been leaning more and more toward vegetarianism and seems like she is about to make the leap into full vegetarian. We eat all organic and whole foods, and do a LOT of meatless anyway due to dh's cholesterol, so it's not a big deal-I support her. (And it may be a phase, who knows.)

I know that there are many unhealthy vegetarians who eat mostly mac and cheese and processed foods, so I want her to learn early on in the process how to be healthy with it. And I would generally like her to be aware and informed on vegetarianism, and active with me in her meal planning so I'd like a book geared toward her age (or teen) with general info about nutritional needs and how to meet them, etc. Thanks!

I have taught her to eat protein, carbs, and fruit or veggie at each meal or major snack. And I have taught her what fits into which category. The other thing I have taught her is that fresh fruits and veggies are healthier than cooked, generally, and that whole grains are crucial for her because she needs the protein complementarity from them.

I would say that she eats a reasonably healthy diet, although it's a weird one. She probably eats too much salt, but other than that it's pretty good. Thankfully she is not vegan or she would fade away to nothing.