Menu

If you could move to any state in the U.S....

The main reason he wants to move, though, is his allergies.

I know I'm not really answering your question, but I feel compelled to say that a person can't really move away from his allergies. Allergies are a result of a malfunction in the body's immune response -- the triggers are not the cause. You could move here to Albuquerque, for example, and he would be fine for awhile, and then eventually he would develop an allergy to the junipers. I say this from experience. I first developed an allergic response to the ragweed in my home state, then to the junipers here, and eventually I had hayfever all year round everywhere I went, even in the winter months when nothing was blooming and the atmosphere was clear. The problem was in my body, not in the air. There can be a number of different causes, and I'm no expert. But PM me if you want to chat about it more. I can not say that I've "cured" my allergies, but I have managed to control them and get off of the three medications I was on to treat them.

I wish you both the best in your decision to move, though. I would recommend Albuquerque, because it meets many of your requirements. The two it doesn't are: the population is much more than 100K, and the junipers really are a common allergy trigger. But homeschooling is easy here, and since the public schools are terrible, it's pretty mainstream. There are lots of homeschoolers and homeschooling groups here.

I know I'm not really answering your question, but I feel compelled to say that a person can't really move away from his allergies. Allergies are a result of a malfunction in the body's immune response -- the triggers are not the cause. You could move here to Albuquerque, for example, and he would be fine for awhile, and then eventually he would develop an allergy to the junipers. I say this from experience. I first developed an allergic response to the ragweed in my home state, then to the junipers here, and eventually I had hayfever all year round everywhere I went, even in the winter months when nothing was blooming and the atmosphere was clear. The problem was in my body, not in the air. There can be a number of different causes, and I'm no expert. But PM me if you want to chat about it more. I can not say that I've "cured" my allergies, but I have managed to control them and get off of the three medications I was on to treat them.

I wish you both the best in your decision to move, though. I would recommend Albuquerque, because it meets many of your requirements. The two it doesn't are: the population is much more than 100K, and the junipers really are a common allergy trigger. But homeschooling is easy here, and since the public schools are terrible, it's pretty mainstream. There are lots of homeschoolers and homeschooling groups here.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was wondering about this also, and Ill definitely do some research on that. Allergies are just part of the reason he wants to move, but it's good to be prepared ahead of time, wherever we end up. :001_smile:

Western North Carolina!

Yes, you described where I live. We live just north of Asheville. It has everything on your list.

I wouldn't move here to get away from allergies! My allergist says he get so many new adult patients who never dealt with allergies until they moved here. :-) My mild seasonal allergies became so much worse here.