Menu

Knitters -- pattern help (simple, but I am too)

I will post on Ravelry, but I usually get a faster response here.

I have a pattern for a sweater vest. I have never made a sweater nor used circulars before. Here is how it reads:

"One PAIR each of 3.25mm, 4.00 mm, and a SET of 3.25 mm knitting needles or THE REQUIRED SIZE TO GIVE CORRECT TENSION."

What in tarnation does that mean I really need, quantity wise and type?

Does it mean I need a circular each of the 2 sizes or 2 circulars each of the 2 sizes?

And for the set: is that implying DBP's?

Here is what I own:

3.5mm 29 in circular (Q 1)

4.0 mm 29 in circular (Q 1)

I want to cast on soon and have no clue. This is for a child's size 12 sweater vest, btw.

thanks!

I will post on Ravelry, but I usually get a faster response here.

I have a pattern for a sweater vest. I have never made a sweater nor used circulars before. Here is how it reads:

"One PAIR each of 3.25mm, 4.00 mm, and a SET of 3.25 mm knitting needles or THE REQUIRED SIZE TO GIVE CORRECT TENSION."

What in tarnation does that mean I really need, quantity wise and type?

Does it mean I need a circular each of the 2 sizes or 2 circulars each of the 2 sizes?

And for the set: is that implying DBP's?

Here is what I own:

3.5mm 29 in circular (Q 1)

4.0 mm 29 in circular (Q 1)

I want to cast on soon and have no clue. This is for a child's size 12 sweater vest, btw.

thanks!

It means you need two sets of circuluars, 3.5mm & 4.0mm. You're also going to need a pair of straight needles in the 3.25 mm size.

Have you purchased the yarn yet? If not you can always bring your pattern with you and ask the yarn store people for help.

I do have the yarn already. I asked her, but she seemed to be not quite confident about that. So, I thought I should get a more certain answer!

Guess I need to head to Hobby Lobby to pick up some more needles.

Thanks!

I got this really neat yarn that is a cotton tweed called Cabin Fever. It is a dark navy with tiny flecks of color interspersed -- very subtle but cool. I am going to attempt a sweater vest for my oldest for Christmas.

Oh, and for the length of the circulars? Would the 29" be ok?

I do have the yarn already. I asked her, but she seemed to be not quite confident about that. So, I thought I should get a more certain answer!

Guess I need to head to Hobby Lobby to pick up some more needles.

Thanks!

I got this really neat yarn that is a cotton tweed called Cabin Fever. It is a dark navy with tiny flecks of color interspersed -- very subtle but cool. I am going to attempt a sweater vest for my oldest for Christmas.

Oh, and for the length of the circulars? Would the 29" be ok?

Is the sweater knit flat on the circulars or will it be "in the round?" (like socks) If you're knitting it flat (requires seaming at the end) then it length would be a matter of preference. If it's circular then you don't want the cable too long or it will be hard to knit.

Here's what the pattern says:

Using a pair of 3.25 mm needles cast on 113 sts.

R1: K2, *P1, K1, rep from * to last st, K1

R2: K1, *P1, K1, rep from * to end

Rep 1st and 2nd rows 7 times (16 rows rib in all)

Change to a pair of 4.00mm needles

Work in stocking st until work measures 37 cm from beginning. ending with Purl row.

Shape armholes:

Cast off 8 sts at beg of next 2 rows ... 97 sts **

Dec one sta t each end of next and foll alt rows until 77 sts rem.

wondering- where does it say circular? I would have read that as 2 sets straight and a set of DPN. Not that circulars couldn't be used.

It does not say the word circulars at all. I am newer to knitting. The mechanics I can do well. The lingo and reading patterns, not so good with that. I am learning!

What I copied in the original post is exactly what the pattern said to get. I am just an idiot with this stuff. It takes me a while to visual what something is and how it works. I'll get there though!