Menu

Looking for latin curr.

If you really want to teach Latin, two years would end up being a waste of time, IMO. To get a more thorough understanding of Latin, I would devote no less than four years - *especially* if you, as the teacher, have no Latin background. Actually two years is really not long enough for *any* language, but I would say especially where Latin is concerned.

For a straightforward, thorough, and fairly user-friendly program, I would go with Henle. Once you get up and running, (at least 5-7 Units into Henle) I like to fold in lessons from Oerberg's Lingua Latina for a contextual Latin reading experience.

If you really want to teach Latin, two years would end up being a waste of time, IMO. To get a more thorough understanding of Latin, I would devote no less than four years - *especially* if you, as the teacher, have no Latin background. Actually two years is really not long enough for *any* language, but I would say especially where Latin is concerned.

For a straightforward, thorough, and fairly user-friendly program, I would go with Henle. Once you get up and running, (at least 5-7 Units into Henle) I like to fold in lessons from Oerberg's Lingua Latina for a contextual Latin reading experience.

I agree. Dd, now in a charter that teaches Latin, began her 3rd year, and finally can read several pages of text along with translating from Latin to English & English to Latin.

We used Lively Latin, Latin Book One, and Oxford Latin before Storm entered a classical school this school year.

I agree. Dd, now in a charter that teaches Latin, began her 3rd year, and finally can read several pages of text along with translating from Latin to English & English to Latin.

We used Lively Latin, Latin Book One, and Oxford Latin before Storm entered a classical school this school year.

Hey, Carmen! Nice to see you! :001_smile:

ETA: I see that you are no longer hs'ing. Neither am I, after 13 awesome years. My older dd is in her 2nd semester of college, and my younger is in ps - 9th gr.

Hey, Carmen! Nice to see you! :001_smile:

ETA: I see that you are no longer hs'ing. Neither am I, after 13 awesome years. My older dd is in her 2nd semester of college, and my younger is in ps - 9th gr.

I had to enroll Storm in school due to finances, but I lucked out with finding a classical charter based on TWTM. I had to bump DD up a grade to get her in, but she's hanging in there & starts 9th grade next fall. Where did all the time go?

A woman whose board name is latinteach has posted many helpful tomes here about various programs. If it were me, and I only had two years, I would dish out the big bucks and go with Latin for the New Millennium. It gives you small doses of primary source readings (if I understand correctly) all along, so you don't have to wait forever and ever to read "real" Latin. They have audio files online (totally necessary for us) and workbook materials to go along with the text.

My oldest son did 3 years with Henle and it was deadly dull; and the Gauls were constantly being crushed, it got old. ("Mom! I'm not translating this! This is contentious objection to unrealistic warfare!") If you only have two years, go with something that deeply engages you.

http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=latin&id=5602

"Latin for the New Millennium" is interesting. Did you get all of the books listed on the page? We actually have all 4 years of high school. DD is not excited at all about Latin as her foreign language, would be nice if she could at least get interested.

I haven't made the plunge yet. My oldest switched to German, he's a senior this year, and my youngest is only is 7th grade. He had a couple years of Latina Christiana, and is now studying Japanese. (Weird, I know. But he's studying Kendo and we know a native Japanese speaker who offered to teach him and another child, so it made sense.) I am embarrassed to say I own a bunch of Latin programs, Cambridge, Henle, Latin Book One, Two & Three, Wheelock.... Silly. But when we circle back round to Latin, we will probably use Latin for the New Millennium, and I suspect that I will get all the materials. I like to be able to study alongside, and to mark up my own materials (or I don't retain anything), so that is my thinking. And that is why I am saving up my pennies now. :D

I was hoping latinteach would weigh in by now. Did you search for her posts?