Menu

Mapping the World with Art + history...

Dawn E

I'm curious to know from others who have used this what history program/material you used at the same time. Did you try to correlate it with something or did you use it as is without worrying over connecting the two? I know that it has some history included, but I'm assuming it was not meant to be a stand alone history material.

Hey, Dawn! I'm sorry I didn't get back to you the other day -- I saw your note, thought, "I'll respond when I have more time" and then... um... Oops! Sorry...

The history is very limited. It's 2-4 pages per lesson (fairly packed pages) about the history of attempts to map the world. I think it's great for kids who have had some exposure to world history -- it really fills in some details that were unlikely to be covered in any depth in other kids' history programs -- but it's by no means a complete history on its own.

We're not making any attempt to coordinate it with our main history studies, though there have certainly been many overlaps with things that the kids remember studying.

My 2nd/3rd grader is doing the program because she's sort of tagging along. If it were just her, I would *not* be doing the history. Too much science and math that's way over her head, and she doesn't really find the history *interesting*. It's a much better fit for my 6th grader. (In the group they're in, I'd say this is generally true -- most of the other 4th graders are bored, but the middle schoolers are finding it interesting, if sometimes challenging to understand the technical material. Though I do feel the activities do a great job of making those technical aspects clearer.) On the other hand, I think dd has learned a lot from the mapping portion of the program. (This would depend on the individual child, of course. She's having an easier time of it than the 4th graders in our group, who aren't as able to sit still and focus and do a detail-oriented directed drawing.) If I just had her, we would do the mapping alone.

It's also possible to use the mapping dvd lessons out of order, as you come across regions of the world in other studies. A friend used the Antarctica lesson when the kids were reading Mr. Popper's Penguins, for instance...

And it would be easy to repeat the mapping lessons several times over during a child's schooling -- to greater benefit, I believe. I'll be repeating the mapping portion with the kids next year, just doing a map a week...

Dawn, when my dd was that age we enjoyed the Audio Memory Geography Songs, GeoPuzzles from Timberdoodle, and Galloping the Globe. MFW ECC might even be a good fit then, if you freed yourself to drop the portions you didn't want. And you could read CHOW alongside any of those, which is what SL core 1+2 does. I've been selling off all kinds of stuff, but that SL core is the one thing I'm having a hard time parting with. :)

Are the DVDs an important part of the mapping program?

The DVDs are included with the program (and the whole thing is a *fantastic* value!)... You can skip them and use the step-by-step directions included in the printed materials, but I find the DVDs *extremely* helpful.

Thanks for the info and advice! I don't know when we'll get to this program...but I'm very excited to know it's out there. I really want to get it in my hands and look through it. I'm thinking of doing as you suggest, Abbey, and using it in a variety of ways over several years. And, Oh Elizabeth, I've been looking into Sonlight a lot more this year than ever, though that catalog has always drawn me in. :001_smile: