Menu

Singapore math through high school

I'm talking all the way through high school...Alg II and Geometry. I need to check to see if Singapore offers calculus.

Tell me your ideas! I'm open to anything right now!

Then there's New Additional Maths (NAM) and College Maths. NAM I think is generally run concurrently with NEM 3 and/or 4, but if you're finishing up the series now I think you could probably just start NAM and not worry about the timing. College Math gets into Calculus. I don't know how it matches to the AP test or anything, so you might need to take a closer look before you decide, but the contents listed on the Singapore Math site do include Differential and Integral Calculus... I just don't know how far into it they go. It looks like book 1 would be Precalculus and book 2 would be Calculus, and according to the website they're meant to be two years' worth... but I've not seen them myself.

Now - if you had more than two years left, I have other ideas. :) But those aren't Singapore... they're Art of Problem Solving.

Now - if you had more than two years left, I have other ideas. :) But those aren't Singapore... they're Art of Problem Solving.

:bigear:

Do tell. Dd is doing NEM1 as a 7th grader, and I had planned on using NEM2 and 3, but still up in the air about grades 10-12. She's probably going to go towards a science degree, chemistry or biochem have her all atwitter right now.

:bigear:

Do tell. Dd is doing NEM1 as a 7th grader, and I had planned on using NEM2 and 3, but still up in the air about grades 10-12. She's probably going to go towards a science degree, chemistry or biochem have her all atwitter right now.

What we did was NEM 1 & 2 Algebra parts one year, then Statistics (that wasn't AoPS, but if they had had one it would have been!), then this year NEM 1& 2 Geometry parts. Next year we're going to do AoPS Counting & Probability in the fall and Number Theory in the spring, both as online classes (assuming they go well -- otherwise I'll just teach from the textbook - but he's getting to where an online class could be an excellent thing). Then we'll do NEM 3 the year after.... Basically, if you have some spare years, I like AoPS to fill them! :)

If you're starting NEM1 in 7th you're pretty much on the Singaporean schedule for that... so you could do 1-4 in 7th-10th, and then College Math in 11th and 12th if you wanted to get through Calculus. I haven't decided whether we'll go with College Math for those or if I'll use US books for Calculus and prep for the AP test. I need to take a closer look at those before I decide (and we still have a little while to decide! :))