Menu

lack of common sense - hereditary?

MeganW

I am one of those people who is often described as being "book smart but no common sense". I am totally gullible as well - I can't even begin to tell you the stupid lines that I have fallen for, especially when I was an auditor.

Is this something that I can prevent in my kids by having them study logic or critical thinking? Or is it just a personality thing?

If it is a study issue, I want to start before upper elementary age. Any ideas for resources for kindergarten age kids? I saw the tin-man stuff elsewhere and that looked intriguing. Is that the best one for this age group?

I don't think it's hereditary, but I also don't know that it's something you can "teach out" of someone using books (as book smarts doesn't necessarily translate to the street). One of my very best friends is as gullible as you describe yourself to be and always has been. She and I took many honors classes together in high school, but you could still convince her that the word gullible was taken out of the dictionary. She can do logic puzzles and talk critical thinking on a college level without batting an eye but still can't manage finances or "think straight" in certain situations. Her mother teaches special education, and her father does international sales for a large firm. I hope this isn't too discouraging, because this is only ONE person among many and is therefore completely circumstantial, but at least I don't believe it's hereditary!

You need to do some reading on learning styles, how people think, and come to accept who you are. Something like Cynthia Tobias' book "The Way They Learn" would work. Basically you are who you are. I'm like you, and I remember getting slammed when I was growing up. People who are into theories on this use fancy terms like sequential vs. global thinkers, concrete and abstract, parts to whole or vice versa, etc. All I know is I am who I am, and sometimes it's great and sometimes it's a disadvantage, lol. My dh, interestingly enough, is the TOTAL opposite. He's uber-practical, knows what our account balances are at all times, and does things in order. I'm utterly impractical, lost in the theoretical (closely related to indecisive, snort), and never know finances, even when I try. When we built our house, he wanted to decide everything in order. I said I couldn't decide where the cabinets were going to go or where the windows should be, because I didn't know what I was going to put in those cabinets, lol. We're just different, and it's how our brains work. So do a bit of reading, try the Tobias book, and see what works for you. But definitely don't slam yourself too hard. I'm so impractical, and I have the MOST PRACTICAL dd you've ever seen. She can cook, be on time, manage a grocery list, remember things, solve problems, etc. She's just differently wired, lol.

Now after saying all that, it's a good thing to know where you or your dc are weak and compensate. You do have to find your own coping skills and then pass them on to your kids. But don't be freaked out that your own kids will be like you either, because they might not be. :)