Menu

Is this echolalia?

Verity

As an infant/toddler my middle son had a hearing impairment from fluid in his ears (but not infections) that caused a speech delay. It was finally identified right before he turned three. Getting tubes fixed the hearing problem and he received language therapy through the county and public school system through last year. He still has some idiosyncracies in his language but for the most part he probably wouldn't stand out as having a speech/language delay.

However, I've noticed over the past year or two that sometimes when he is excited and talking he will repeat the last word of each sentence in a whisper. For example, last night he came out and asked for another bedtime snack and said, "I was wondering if I could have some peanuts? (whisper) peanuts" I asked him to repeat himself and he did, exactly the same way. I've noticed this before and when I point it out to him he laughs it off (he acts very goofy alot).

Other diagnoses: he has ADHD, SPD (hypersensitive) and I'm pretty sure is dyslexic. My older son also has ADHD, SPD (hyposensitive) and social anxiety/awkwardness - very much on a high functioning asperger's level but doesn't have a "professional" diagnosis for autism.

Any thoughts on this? Is this a sign of something else I should be looking into or just an idiosyncracy?

It's called palilalia - repeating one's own words. My Aspie used to do it when he was younger! He doesn't do it anymore though, though he does talk to himself quite a bit under his breath.

We didn't know anything about Autism back when my son was doing it, nor did we know it was something that had a name and that other people did. If I had known, I would have taken him in to the doctor to talk about it.