Menu

I need science sequence and transcript help.

One of the colleges my son is interested in attending states this under it's science requirements from highschool students:

• Biology, Chemistry, and Physics plus an additional lab-based course

He has taken physical in 8th, which I didn't plan on including on his trasncript, then biology, chemistry, physics and will be taking physics at the CC this fall. I am listing the Apologia regular courses and advanced courses he has taken each as 1 credit, so altogether he will already have more than 4 science credits. Should I include the phsyical course or do you think the fact that he has courses done at the high school level, then college level will satisfy the required 4th additional lab based course?

Thanks!

I assume that after bio, chem, and physics with labs, you can take another year of any of those topics at the advanced level with lab. Your CC class would fit that perfectly. In general, I'm hearing that competitive colleges don't like Physical Science for high school credit, so I think that I'd avoid that. Not every school is like that, but that's what I hear.

I'd confirm that by phone call or email though...

I assume that after bio, chem, and physics with labs, you can take another year of any of those topics at the advanced level with lab. Your CC class would fit that perfectly. In general, I'm hearing that competitive colleges don't like Physical Science for high school credit, so I think that I'd avoid that. Not every school is like that, but that's what I hear.

I'd confirm that by phone call or email though...

Thanks. I will give them a call next week.

It sounds like you are more than covered with Bio/Chem/Physics/CC Physics. I would not think that physical science would add anything or be needed. Some schools want a "physical science" course -- but physics fills that bill. And as you said, your son will have more than 4 "years" of science (with 2 CC semesters being equivalent to 2 high school years), so it looks like your son will be VERY well prepared!

I know that some of the schools my ds applied to wanted to see some lab-science classes. We listed science classes as "Biology w/lab, Chemistry w/lab," etc., on the transcript, just to make sure there wasn't any doubt.

~Brigid

It sounds like you are more than covered with Bio/Chem/Physics/CC Physics. I would not think that physical science would add anything or be needed. Some schools want a "physical science" course -- but physics fills that bill. And as you said, your son will have more than 4 "years" of science (with 2 CC semesters being equivalent to 2 high school years), so it looks like your son will be VERY well prepared!

I know that some of the schools my ds applied to wanted to see some lab-science classes. We listed science classes as "Biology w/lab, Chemistry w/lab," etc., on the transcript, just to make sure there wasn't any doubt.

~Brigid

Thanks for the reminder!