Menu

WT1 with FLL3 or R&S 3...overkill?

Sue G in PA

I *think* this has been discussed and if so, forgive my redundant post. I'm almost 100% sure I'm doing WT1 with ds8 next year. I know it has grammar written into the program. Up until now, ds8 has not had much formal grammar. We started FLL 1/2 and fizzled out...he couldn't take the massive review. Tried R&S 2 and it went okay. *Mom* fizzled out! Now, he really doesn't do much. Would WT1 combined with either FLL3 or R&S 3 be overkill on the grammar? I don't want to overwhelm him. R&S3 seems to be a much more rigorous text than FLL3. I have both (I told you I am a curriculum junkie!) and while I can't stand the "scripted" format of FLL3, I like the gentle approach and narration lessons. Of course, I'll have WWE for ds7 so could use that for ds8 as well for the narrations, etc. Oh good.ness. I wish I could just decide on ONE silly curriculum and go with it. Back to my original Q...any thoughts?

Growing with Grammar 3.

It is quick, painless and easy to get through.

We are using it this year and do it about 3-4x a week.

I think it would go really well with WT1. I think R&S3 would be overkill (unless you do it orally) and i think that FLL3 will be a lot of overlapping of WT1 (ie: narrations, copywork, stories...etc)

Check out GWG....I think you will like it!

Sue,

I'm in the same situation with my ds8. Like you, we tried FLL1/2, but it wasn't a good fit. It worked well for my dd who's very auditory, but ds is more of a visual learner. We did a little of R & S 2 mostly orally (this worked because he followed along in his book), but I wasn't able to be consistent enough with it. We dropped it and just picked up grammar again a couple of months ago with Easy Grammar 3/4. This is what I plan to continue with when we do WT1 in the fall. In your case, having FLL and R & S already, I would go with R & S. I don't think it would be overkill if you do the lessons orally. I would really like to go with R & S myself, but I already own EG 3/4. I have to start using what I buy instead of always looking elsewhere.

HTH!