Menu

Military wives- questions about taxes and Iraq/Afghanistan

Hi all,

I seem to remember from when we were last at a base that had people going to Iraq and Afghanistan for short periods that there were tax advantages with that. I do think that people who are deployed for some time get their income tax free for those deployment months. What about military who travel there for a short period?

Hi all,

I seem to remember from when we were last at a base that had people going to Iraq and Afghanistan for short periods that there were tax advantages with that. I do think that people who are deployed for some time get their income tax free for those deployment months. What about military who travel there for a short period?

In any given month if you spend 1 day of that month in a combat zone then that month is tax free. To clarify Wyndie's point-if stationed in Germany and you don't go to a war zone then you still pay US taxes.

Hi all,

You get "tax-free" status for the entire month, if you are in the AOR even one day. For example, my Dh went to Qatar the very end of Jan (last year) and left Aug 1st. He gets tax-free for 8 months, even though he was only gone a little over 6 months.

The W-2 at the end of the year (is that right? or is it W-4?) will reflect what is taxable and what is not. Tax programs such as Turbo tax will also ask the question "did this person serve in X, Y, Z? If so, what were the dates?"

Luckily, it is pretty easy to do, even when one is feeling befuddled.

a