Menu

Help! Lial Algebra--which version?

Ds will be using Chalkdust Algebra, but I'd like a backup copy of Lial for extra explanations and problems if we need it.

I did a search on Amazon and there are so many versions of the algebra books by Lial: Beginning Algebra Plus MyMathLab, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, etc.

Which verson should I be looking for? And do the solutions come with these texts?

TIA!

The BEST Lial books to use as reference texts (or as a regular text) are part of the 'developmental' series. These are huge paperback texts!

You can pick up a 7th or 8th edition on Amazon.com for under $10. Make sure it does not have writing in it--I only purchase these texts in 'new' or 'like new' condition. I also reinforce the covers with self-laminating sheets and they are good to go!

ISBN for Introductory Algebra (Algebra 1) 8th is 0321279212

ISBN for Intermediate Algebra (Algebra 2) 8th is 0321279204

as well as all of the test and chapter review/cumulative review answers.

The examples are VERY detailed. A separate student solutions manual is also available--cheap too... but very few of my students ever open theirs.

ISBN for solutions manuals

Intro. 8th: 0321285816

Intermediate 8th: 0321285697

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, they do have them for the 7th edition but they can be HARD to find--check out http://www.ecampus.com (but their search engin is not that great you may have to call them).

There is a bit of reorganizing in the 8th edition--but the videos should still work for the most part.

I really do not think the students need to watch every video lesson--the text's examples are very clear---DVTs are best for occasional use.

DVT means Digital Video Tutor.

8th edition DVT for Introductory Algebra 0321285840

• 3 months later...
The BEST Lial books to use as reference texts (or as a regular text) are part of the 'developmental' series. These are huge paperback texts!

Sorry to resurrect this thread. My biggest problem with the Lial books 'Developmental' series is that they are paperback. I just don't like large paperback textbooks. They don't last in my experience (torn pages, doggy-ears, split bindings, etc.). Fortunately the Introductory Algebra and Intermediate Algebra books are available in hardback too.

Now, to confuse everyone further, I am not talking about Lial's other developmental series, where one book is entitled Beginning Algebra and the other also Intermediate Algebra. These two are currently in the 10th edition, copyright 2008. (The ISBN numbers are 0321437268 and 0321557646 respectively.)

No, I'm talking about the paperback (currently 9th) editions, in hardback form, listed as "HS Binding" in the Pearson school book catalog. (Only these two in the paperback Developmental series are available in hardback. The others, like BCM, are only available in paperback, AFAIK.)

I have the hardback-version-of-the-paperback-editions (if that makes sense ;)) for both Introductory Algebra and Intermediate Algebra, 9th edition, because I'm a math teacher by trade (I'm not even a parent!) and I was looking for new Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 textbooks. I'm allowed to get free examination copies. I can see why the homeschooling parents here like these books so much.

If there are anyone here who are interested in getting the hardback versions of the paperback Introductory Algebra and Intermediate Algebra, here are the ISBN numbers for the 9th edition:

0-13-136096-5 Introductory Algebra, 9th Edition (HS Binding)

0-13-136095-7 Intermediate Algebra, 9th Edition (HS Binding)

I've read that a number of posters recommend getting the 8th edition because usually they're cheaper. Well, the 8th edition of Introductory Algebra and Intermediate Algebra are also available in hardback, but the titles on the front cover are simply Algebra 1 and Algebra 2. The pictures on the covers are the same.

0-321-29224-3 Algebra 1, 8th Edition (HS Binding)

0-321-29223-5 Algebra 2, 8th Edition (HS Binding)

Of course, the problem with these books is that they may not be cheap.

Finally, if you need ISBN's of the supplemental materials that go with these books listed above, you can view the Pearson school book catalog for Math here:

http://www.pearsonschool.com/live/customer_central/catalogs/MathCat/

The 9th edition is listed on page 47, and the 8th edition is listed on page 76.

Good luck!

Edited by eumyang

• 3 years later...