Menu

Anyone have to use different methods of ed for different kiddos?

Kim in SouthGa

While my two oldest could sit and read all day, my 9ds hates it. He really wants short lessons, get it done, and get to the golf course with dad. WTM has worked really well with the oldest two, but I'm think of trying a LCC approach with my 9ds. He prefers I read aloud to him, even though he can read just fine. He doesn't really like history like my other two, in fact he really doesn't like any aspect of school! He is a very physical kid, real into sports, can't sit still-he just walks around the house with a ball in his hands all the time, when I can keep him inside! Do you think LCC would be a better fit for him?

Thanks!

Yeah, do what you have to do! :iagree:

Our two oldest kids are polar opposites and there is no way they could do the same stuff (at the same time). In fact, this fall - they're both venturing off completely into different curricula.

Isn't that one of the reasons we homeschool? So we can tailor the schoolwork to the kid's learning personality...

My oldest (my reader) loves literature and history. Sonlight was a great fit for him.

I tried to make Sonlight work for my second (my science guy), but alas he never liked history as much as the first and historical fiction never made him connect to history like the oldest. He just doesn't like historical fiction. Last year he used WP S&S and we moved to a more CM approach with his education in general. It was great! This year we tried WP QMA and it just wasn't a good fit. Now he is using TRISMS EOC and a CM approach. It is a good fit.

My little guy (my math man) is a get it done and get it done fast kind of a guy. He is using a mix of traditional workbooks with AO literature put together in time-short type workboxes.

Three boys, three different styles.

HTH-

Mandy

My two oldest sons were very similar in their approach to school and WTM worked great for them. When my third son got to high school, I had to rethink everything. He learns so differently than his brothers did. I had to buy different curriculum for him last year in 9th and use a totally different approach. That is one of the beauties of homeschooling - we can tailor our approach to our children's needs.

While my two oldest could sit and read all day, my 9ds hates it. He really wants short lessons, get it done, and get to the golf course with dad. WTM has worked really well with the oldest two, but I'm think of trying a LCC approach with my 9ds. He prefers I read aloud to him, even though he can read just fine. He doesn't really like history like my other two, in fact he really doesn't like any aspect of school! He is a very physical kid, real into sports, can't sit still-he just walks around the house with a ball in his hands all the time, when I can keep him inside! Do you think LCC would be a better fit for him?

Thanks!

That is a large part of what brought me to TOG. When we did SL it was perfect for my oldest, but too much for the other three. Then we did WP, which was enough for my younger three, but too little for my oldest. With TOG I read the LG or UG history aloud during Lunch, which my oldest does sit in on. Then I assign extra reading for my oldest from the UG or D sections, and require my 2nd dd read the LG literature.

I say if LCC works, then go for it!

Heather

Guest Dulcimeramy

I do. It took years of soul-searching and adjusting to finally figure out how to teach these boys!

DS13 is a WTM'er all the way. He's doing it all pretty much as written, with additional science, heavy-duty Bible and church history, and four instruments.

DS11 is receiving a very strict Charlotte Mason education. I use her 20 principles (can be found at amblesideonline) and if she says to do it, we do it. If she doesn't say to do it, we don't. This child is a very black-and-white thinker, and very intelligent, but he also has ADHD. Back when he was learning to read (at age 7!) I learned that whatever we do must be very efficient. Charlotte Mason teaches me how to make the most of the time with him. No twaddle, and perfect concentration required on whatever he does! This simple, thorough method has helped him to make huge strides. Compared to traditional or public schooling, his education is pretty classical-looking. I tend to swap in some WTM book suggestions, and teach them with CM methods. He will begin Greek and Hebrew soon, but probably not Latin.

DS9 and DS5 are Sonlight kids. I work so hard at carefully crafting the studies for the older two that I don't have much creativity left for these two. With Sonlight, I just open the instructor guides each day. No prep. I had to really, really fight myself to not feel guilty about that! I know that Sonlight is excellent, and they are very happy and thriving. These two boys are very, very good at amusing themselves and pursuing their own interests, so I don't worry about the well-roundedness of their education.

Also, they overhear the classical studies that the older two are pursuing, and DS9 reads all the Plutarch, Aesop, etc. that is laying around.

I do think LCC or Charlotte Mason would be a good fit for the child you describe.

All of my children learn differently. I have one who I honestly think would do best in a Core Knowledge school, and I teach him using a more traditional, modern approach. I have one child who benefits from CM methodology. My six-year-old likes workbooks and unit studies, in that order. My youngest has screamed "Waldorf kid!" at me since he was just a wee bairn; he wants to meet the soulishness of his subjects.