Menu

Calling all rabbit owners...

My dd really wants to get a pet rabbit. Since her cat ran off when we moved here, I am inclined to let her get one. I told her when she builds a hutch, she can get one! Now I feel the need to help her build the hutch! :001_huh:

Any good hutch building ideas? Inexpensive would be great, and the rabbit will definitely be outside.

Thanks all!

My kiddos talked me into a lop-eared rabbit (who we keep indoors) and, although we love him very much, I can sadly say that it was a mistake. The constant cage cleaning is a real pain and we have hay EVERYWHERE despite having one of those nice hay holders. Also, the kids just have not seemed to bond with ours the way I think they would have with a dog or cat. My husband and I play with him and let him run around the house for a few hours every night after the kids go to bed, but he has gotten so fast that we cannot let him run around outdoors anymore. I was told that the lop-eared ones are much calmer and more child friendly than the ones with the stand-up ears and this has definately been our experience as ours is very calm and sweet. The main thing that I wish we would have known when we got him was how BIG rabbits get (ours was so small and cute when we got him, but is now the size of a small cat!!!). We have increased his cage size twice now and still do not feel that he really has enough room, so my big advice about buiding a hutch is to build a BIG one or you will be building another one sooner than you think.

If you are building a hutch I am going on the assumption that you plan to keep it outdoors. I do not know where you live, but most pet stores will tell you that this is not the best idea because you would be surprised how creative neighborhood animals can be at getting to them. Keeping it indoors or on a screened porch if you have one would be best. The last thing you want is to have something like that happen after your child has fallen in love with it. My best advice about the hutch is to look on the internet as there are lots of plans with TONS of options on there. Good luck!!!

We got a lop-eared from someone whose daughter developed allergies and they had to get rid of him. He is litter boxed trained and very clean!! I love him and really enjoy his company.

We let him run around in our learning room during school. He never has an accident, hops back into his cage for bathroom duties.

My dd age 7 scoops out his litter daily. We actually cut a hole in our cage at the end and attached an enclosed kitty litter box which he uses as a bed. He won't go anywhere but in his litter box.

The only problem we have is that he is a male and, because of that, we keep a blanket between the litter box and the wall. His aim isn't always perfect, but neither is my dh's or ds's for that matter.

Our bunny plays tag with my daughter. She "tags" him and he runs around her in circles as fast as he can, jumps in her lap, and then she is it. Too cute, they really do have a great personality.

We got a lop-eared from someone whose daughter developed allergies and they had to get rid of him. He is litter boxed trained and very clean!! I love him and really enjoy his company.

We let him run around in our learning room during school. He never has an accident, hops back into his cage for bathroom duties.

My dd age 7 scoops out his litter daily. We actually cut a hole in our cage at the end and attached an enclosed kitty litter box which he uses as a bed. He won't go anywhere but in his litter box.

The only problem we have is that he is a male and, because of that, we keep a blanket between the litter box and the wall. His aim isn't always perfect, but neither is my dh's or ds's for that matter.

Our bunny plays tag with my daughter. She "tags" him and he runs around her in circles as fast as he can, jumps in her lap, and then she is it. Too cute, they really do have a great personality.

seven years until he passed on last fall.

This rabbit and my son did bond, in fact the rabbit seemed to know all family members and was very friendly.

Yes, the mess that the other poster mentioned can be a reality. Our Binky was living in the mud room and it looked a bit like a barn but you mentioned yours will be outside - that should take care of that issue. Just make sure - if it gets very hot where you live - that you have an alternative place for him or provide frozen water bottles so he/she can rub his/her ears against it and stay comfortable.

They can die fast if overheated.

If you and your dc spend time with the rabbit, he/she will likely become a good friend. We always had dwarf rabbits. Last one was a Dutch - white and gray color pattern. They don't get very big and like I said, he was very sociable and fun.