Menu

Reading Issue

I just finished a blog post regarding this issue.

I need help!

FYI, my 8 yo has some diagnosed issues (verbal apraxia); my 7 yo does not have anything diagnosed, but he tends to have similar problems. (However, honestly, I think it's more due to him mimicing his older brother rather than him having honest issues.)

What books are you trying to teach with? When my dd was 8 she still wasnt' reading either just being stubborn, or just enjoyed her big brothers doing it for her I don't know for sure which it was lol. There are many curr. out there to choose from for sure. The old fashion Dick and Jane books are what finally worked for my 2 youngest. I used a piece of paper to cover all the words except for the ones were reading. By the time we were half way thru the first book she could read. From there were moved to the Pathway Reader, she loved those. We only did reading her first year home, and not nonstop during day but we would read some pages, write our name and simple 3 letter words, read another page, you get the picutre. Everything we did that year revolved around reading, but that meant a wee bit of writing and a wee bit of spelling. She is now 13 and my most avid reader in the house, she begs to go to bookstore. For your dh, my opinion is if he wants the boys to read to him at night, have the boys re read from whatever book you were practicing during the day. Most important keep it simple.:grouphug:

Check out this website: http://www.dys-add.com. It is a wealth of information about dyslexia. You can read the info or watch about 3 hours of free video.

My 8 yo was diagnosed with severe articulation issues at age 3, and is still in speech therapy. When she was 7 yo, we were told she probably had verbal apraxia, but it was largely remediated. Speech issues are often the first indication that a child has dyslexia. I suspected dd was dyslexic from the time she was 4 and she was diagnosed at age 7.

After checking out the above website, if you think your boys, or at least the older one, might be dyslexic, post again and I can tell you what we've done for reading.

What books are you trying to teach with?

*growl* What haven't I used!????

Let's see, the 1st month of Phonics Pathways (they were 4 & 3then). That didn't work -- they were too young, so we chilled.

Ages 6 & 5 We tried FLL, Teach your child to read in 100 EZ lessons, Explode the code. (The last two I had leftover from my 15 yo's early years -- I never liked either book with him, and certainly didn't like them for the younger two either, so finally got smart and chucked them!)

Ages 7 & 6 A full year of Phonics Pathways. (I can say beyond shadow of a doubt they have no retention of that whatsoever. And we only ever take 2 weeks off at a time.)

This year we are working on Pathway Readers. This year I'm starting to see that they are "getting it". I strongly believe it's more of an age / maturity thing than any curricula.

For your dh, my opinion is if he wants the boys to read to him at night, have the boys re read from whatever book you were practicing during the day. Most important keep it simple.:grouphug:

The boys are just starting to combine sounds and work on 3 letter words in Pathway readers. (We have not officially started on a single book yet -- that starts in 3 weeks.) I have at least 3 sets of extra "phonics readers" and they are just now "within reach" of my guys' learning. 'Course, DH is already sick of those books.

After checking out the above website, if you think your boys, or at least the older one, might be dyslexic, post again and I can tell you what we've done for reading.

I do not believe I'm seeing signs of dyslexia, based on my current knowledge. However, I'll give the site a look-see.

Could you have your husband help you select a reading assessment to administer to the boys? Then find books that are at the level they tested at and have them read THOSE to your husband. That way he knows what they are capable of and what is expecting too much.

Tara

ETA:

'Course, DH is already sick of those books.

Too bad for him. When kids are learning to read, listening to them read is not an exercise in entertainment for the parents.

Also wanted to add that Bob books are nice easy readers too, we tried them but dd was more into coloring the pictures. Tell DH that books at this lvl are extremely boring, I mean really how many times can you hear that the rat sat by the cat. Or he can do the mafority of reading but point to words, like at, sat bat, that he knows they know or are capable of sounding out. I feel for ya for sure, I remember feeling embarassed when someone would ask dd what are you reading, and she would say, "Oh, I dont' read, my brothers do it for me." One last thing, maybe cut out pictures of words he "knows" how to read, McDonalds, all kids can read this one, lol. His name, the word mom, dad and put simple sentences with those words. I love mom. I hope you get some ideas here or atleast feel okay with the fact they are just being slow starters. As for your dh, he needs to relax a bit and not blame you or anyone else that the boys are just taking their time getting going. Hubby's just dont' get it sometimes, mine is currently stuggling with our decision to hs thru highschool, and I get blame here and there but that is another can of worms. Somethings just take time, and that is the hardest thing to give. It will come, just hang in there.:grouphug: