Menu

Reading comprehension, figurative language, etc. - Need curr. recs (CLE discussed)

Heather in OK

My older two girls (5th grade and 3rd) have been doing CLEs reading. They both hate it. It's the only lesson they complain about having to do.

My reason for choosing their reading was I saw the figurative lang. was covered as well as a little bit of poetry. I have scanned over the CLE S&S for LA (which we use) and see one reference to figurative lang. in LA506. So it doesn't appear that these things will be covered in LA.

Is there something different/better and similar in price (or free)? Should I just have them tough it out with CLE and stick with it, knowing it covers a good deal of information?

Thanks!

I can't find any samples online of Figuratively Speaking. Does it cover basic poetry? *Nevermind...I found what I was looking for at Rainbow Resource. :) *

I see the other covers both and looks great, but it's way above grade level for my girls.

Edited by Heather in OK

Yes, here is what Figuratively Speaking covers in poetry:

Section 2 Poetic Language

Chapters 9-18

Alliteration

Assonance and Consonance

Form

Onomatopoeia

Parallelism

Repetition and Refrain

Rhyme

Rhythm

Run-on and End-stopped Lines

Stanza

I really like how FS uses real examples from Literature and Poetry to teach the terms.