Menu

Question for using Henle's Latin - 1 book or 2?

We have one copy of Henle's Latin Level 1 that I'm planning on using with ds. I took a Latin class 8 years ago with Henle's, although I don't remember very much.

It seems like it would be beneficial for both of us to have our own copy of the book, however I'm a little reluctant to buy another copy in case he can be independent in a few lessons.

My question is, if you are experience with Henle's - do you have a copy per student and instructor or does everyone just share the same book?

Thanks!

Thank you so much! I kind of figured 2 would be better, but needed validation to make the purchase.

He'll be 13 in a few weeks and really wants to learn Latin. I like Henle's and figured we could go really slow with one exercise every other day, it probably take us 4 months to get through 2 chapters.

Thanks again!

I took our Henle I books to the local Kinkos and had them split the book into two sections (right before Unit 6) and add spirals. I also spiral bound the grammar book.

It really helps to be able to lay them flat on the table as "I" often need both text and grammar book plus the answer book and a pencil/paper to write the translation. It cost more than I thought it should, but it has made doing Latin so much easier!

And yes, I think you will have a much easier time with two copies of text, answer book, and grammar book.

I would try for an exercise each day, and quit after a set time period, say 15 minutes. I would also chant for 2-3 minutes every day, practice vocabulary recall, and write grammar forms. (Start with first declension nouns every day.) And as you move through the book, I might add doing some part of a review exercise each day to the list.

Pat

we had only 1 student book for awhile, but once we got to longer exercises and readings, we really found having 2 books to be helpful. We have gotten along fine with one grammar book and one answer key.

I also second the spiral binding idea. I had one of our books spiral bound, and it is much easier to use.

I also agree with Pat that you would want to practice the grammar forms & vocabulary at least a few minutes every school day. You might want to re-think your pacing, as the Henle 1 book has about 400 lessons total. At one every other day, it would take years to get through it.

Brenda

Awesome!

Thanks for the teaching tips and spiral binding idea. I never would've thought to do that, but I can only imagine how much easier that would make it to have both books lay flat. I'll head down to Kinkos and get his copy & the grammar cut & bound.