Menu

Should I supplement Saxon Math with Singapore?

I am using Saxon Math with my 1st, 3rd and 5th grade DDs. My plan was to get a good start on Saxon with my DDs, then add in Singapore Math so that they can benefit from a different approach to Math.

The first grader is using Saxon 1, which seems to be too easy for her, but she is enjoying it, especially the meetings. The third grader is using 5/4, and my fifth grader is using Saxon 6/5. The middle child occasionally complains about all the drill as well as the writing required, which is understandable for a 9 year old.

I am pretty convinced to purchase 1A for my 1st grader so that she can be challenged. I am leaning toward purchasing 2B for my 3rd grader to use as the main text and supplement with the Saxon we are using now. I am not sure what to do about my 5th grader. She is an average student, an eager learner, and a joy to teach. She wishes to go back to school next year for social reasons, but she would be going to a private school, as I do not want her 100 feet from a PS middle school, if DH and I agree to let her go back to school.

Is there anything I am missing? I like to have all the facts when I make a decision. Would you do anything differently? If you use both Saxon and Singapore, how do you do it?

Cindy

If you want to keep Saxon as the main program you can, but I'd highly suggest the Singapore Intensive Practice books. Choose a level just under or right at what they are doing now. I would use these with any program I was using. My son says the name fits, they are intensive but they stretch the brain which is exactly what I wanted. I think you can take a look at them at the singapore math site or maybe cbd or rainbowresource. If you have any questions, just let me know.