Menu

Hi! I'm new and need Logic stage History help......please!

weat4

Hello,

My name is Julie and this is my third year doing WTM with our 11 yr. old daughter. We both love it (for the most part :glare:) and because of a crazy first semester, we are just beginning History.........

HELP! How do you do the Logic stage? It seems complicated with the many-sectioned notebook, outlining, etc.

Can anyone simplify it for me? I'd be most grateful........

Thanks!

Julie

Married 20 years to Mark

Anna, 11

Thomas, Elizabeth, and William, almost 6

It's really pretty straightforward. You don't say what you're using for history, but you would read from your sources; decide on items to add to a timeline if you're doing one; pick a source to outline from and do that once a week or so; choose a topic to write about and do a short report once a week or so. You can make different tabs in a notebook and keep your various reports there if you like. I don't really see any purpose in this and don't do it, myself.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

My name is Julie and this is my third year doing WTM with our 11 yr. old daughter. We both love it (for the most part :glare:) and because of a crazy first semester, we are just beginning History.........

HELP! How do you do the Logic stage? It seems complicated with the many-sectioned notebook, outlining, etc.

Can anyone simplify it for me? I'd be most grateful........

Thanks!

Julie

Married 20 years to Mark

Anna, 11

Thomas, Elizabeth, and William, almost 6

I'm in the middle of doing my planning for next year, so you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt. :D

Over the past couple of days, I sat down and outlined the logic stage history section in the WTM. I came away with a much clearer picture of what to do next year. I didn't make a detailed outline. This helped me out *a lot*. I also have an older version of WTM, so I read about logic stage history in it and noted the changes from edition to edition. (I feel some things were clearer in the 1st edition.)

For me, the reason for the notebooks became clear when we started Lively Latin this year. That program has what appears to be an unnecessary and complicated notebook system, but the more we use it, the more I see the brilliance behind it. I think the WTM history notebook will be like that.

For example, if your daughter wants to read about all famous people she studied, she just needs to look in the "Great Men and Women" section; if she wants to review the religious beliefs of people in that time period she just needs to look in the "Religion" section and so on. She'll be doing a timeline that will help her keep things ordered chronologically and the notebook will help her keep things ordered by subject.

HTH

This might not be what you were asking for, but last year, I was doing just what you are doing and I finally came to the conclusion that the only way history would get done TWTM way around here was if I had some help. The second level of History Odyssey was the closest thing I could find, it was affordable, and honestly, it's done everything I hoped it would except get my kids excited about history. (To be fair, though, I doubt they'd have been any more excited if I'd done the planning myself. After four years of snuggling up together with SOTW, outlining from Kingfisher just seems awfully dry.)

BUT, they've learned to outline. They're keeping a timeline. They're writing about important people and inventions and places and organizing their own notebooks. They're doing map work. And even though I don't think we'll stay with HO next year, I don't regret doing it this year because I can see that they've become so much more comfortable with those skills, and having it all planned out for me was just bliss.

Good luck with your planning!

SBP

I'll second History Odyssey (level 2) as a way of following WTM history recommendations for logic stage, but without doing all of the planning yourself. We're doing level 2 (logic stage) Middle Ages this year, and it has worked really well for us. This next year, I think we'll be using a different spine and writing our own lessons, but using HO has really helped us to apply what WTM was suggesting all along.