Menu

MUS Primer vs. Singapore EarlyBird?

MeganW

Math-U-See Primer

Singapore EarlyBird

Are these the same difficulty? I have three very different kids who learn very differently, but are all going to want to do the same workbooks at the same time. I was thinking of doing one program then the other in hopes of covering all the basics every way I can to be sure they all get it.

One is a little delayed but of average intelligence (she progresses normally, just never got caught up from premature birth)

One is very minorly autistic (PDD-NOS) - of above average intelligence

One has a learning issue that has yet to be officially diagnosed b/c they won't test before age 5. I expect her to be labeled as having Central Auditory Processing Disorder. Some days she can't do even basic things, and other days she wows me. And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason!

Oh, and I have a 3 year old who will want to be right in the thick of what everyone else is doing!

I think MUS would be good fit for your kids. I have EB and am not overly impressed. When you move onto Alpha maybe think about supplementing or switching to Singapore 1A/1B if any or all of your kids need more of a challenge. I happen to like SM better but from what I hear MUS works for almost any type of learner so it might be a good place to start.

No experience with MUS but we are almost done with Singapore EB.

EB is a mastery approach. The lessons are short and they gradually build. You can make it hands on if you want by adding stuff (ex. I bought plastic coins for the Money Unit). You don't need the teacher's manual because it gives you ideas at the bottom of the page for development - each lesson has this. And you can get the workbook for added practice and that includes a lot of cut and paste activities.