Menu

bed wetting

Is it normal for an almost 8 year old boy to still be wetting the bed more than not? He has been doing this since he was potty trained...and it usually isn't very much, but enough to have to own several pairs of PJ's becasue I can't wash every day...his bed doesn't always get wet...he catches himself (it usually is right before he wakes up)....

He has sensory issues if that matters???

Kathy

I have a 7 and 1/2 year old in the same boat. We still do pull ups, as do several of his friends. I just talked to his pediatrician about it and she said to wait to do anything. She said many kids that age are still wetting at night and there are a lot of factors (heavy sleep, hormones that haven't kicked in, etc). She said to try not to worry about it for a few years unless he was upset about it.

Also she said there was a prescription for a one time situation that it was important not to wet, but it had to be taken (a pill I think) every day that you don't want an accident, so it wasn't a good choice for a long term solution.

She said an incentive system worked with a few kids, but she said with almost all kids at this age it was involuntary, so it was important not to be shaming. She said sometimes sleepovers will be an incentive.

I asked about a buzzer system and she said it could take months to work and so might not be worth it from a parental sleep perspective if we could do pull ups and wait for it to resolve itself.

Waking this kid up in the night doesn't work that well, and she said that was typical and not to bother if it didn't go well (he tends to be combative and contrary when woken up).

Hope some of that helps.