Menu

15 yrs old

15 yrs old son with minor learning disability is in 8th grade PS school. He doesn't receive any services.

He wants to get our of school midyear (tomorrow) and be homeschooled again.

I homeschooled him till he was tens yr.

I placed him in school because I was a single working student mom.

He spent several years in school then i think 1st year of 6th grade he did independent study while I continued with nursing school as his father was in a severe biking accident and couldn't care for him or take him to school.

He is NOT doing well in school and wants to be homeschooled. He has always not been into academics and fought me a lot when homeschooling.

My ex says he is just trying to run away from his problems and also he is not willing to help fund for the homeschooling books/supplies.

My son does however want to go to a Christian High School but due to our finances I don;t see that as a possibility.

He says the Public school undermines his Christian beliefs.

Here is my current situation: I am a remarried woman with now 7 kids. My youngest is 5 months old. My oldest is my son and I have five girls in the middle who will be still attending school.

I don;t know what to do.

I need some advice....

Have you two sat down and put the plusses and minuses of all the options on a sheet of paper?

There are many questions to be answered. For ex:

What is his plan for the last semester of Grade 8? How will going with his plan be an improvement over the current situation?

Does he meet the admissions standards for the Christian H.S.? Is he willing and able to do the work to stay off probation?

Is the student willing to work and fund some of his high school education with his earnings?

Frankly, if he's fighting acadaemics now, he's not likely to change without an epiphany. Working minimum wage can sometimes help change a lad's perspective.

Our state, FLorida, offers McKay Scholarship to children with Disabilities. They can choose any school on the list if it will be better for them. Does your state offer anything like that? Ours covers several private schools...including christian schools for no additional costs. It might be worth looking into.

Besides that...I have my son in 8th grade...and he is still homeschooling. He is really difficult right now. He wants to go back to PS so he is getting ready to start HS next year. I am going to try and get him into a Technical Culinary HS in the area...otherwise he will be in our local HS...not my favorite choice. I noticed that he has been trying to claim to me that he cant do a lot...but when he is outside the home he is doing much more then he is doing at home. Not that I dont push him...he just seems to want to be lazy with me. I cant say that is what your son is doing...but I think my son feels he can be lazy at home. It is a constant fight. I am really scared about putting him in HS as I know he has disabilities but I think now he is trying to use it has his crutch instead of trying to overcome them or work through them.

That is just us though...Not sure if it relates to your child at all!

But...as excited as I am to have him go to school....and I am just as scared. But...Your situation is a bit different. Having to work is a must...so you need to figure out if you even have time to work and homeschool. It is very time consuming in HS. You might also look into Virtual school. Again...Fl offers FLvirtual school and K12 for free. So...possibly your school offers those? I know my son wont sit on his own and work...so that isnt an option for us. But it might be for you??