Menu

I'd love a little inspritation about Willa Cather and literature in general

I'm stuggling a lot this year (Moderns) to choose the books for my 10th/12th boys to read. Quite a few I have read and rejected(for various reasons). I read Death Comes For the Archbishop and it was okay, but I didn't love it and I'm sure my boys won't love it either. Why do it? Why do Cather? Have I just lost focus on why we do Lit? Maybe we don't have to love it we just need to get something out of it? And if so what is it that we should or could get out of this one. Maybe I should read some online guides to this book. If you feel like chatting about this I'll eagerly read your replies. I think I'm having trouble thinking about starting school again next week.

Thanks,

Kendall

Wow, tastes differ! Death Comes for the Archbishop was so searingly beautiful to me! When we did Cather last year we read My Antonia which my 17 yo son enjoyed. Maybe that's a better choice.

But bottom line is you certainly don't have to do Cather if you don't want to. It is very hard to fit in every single literary piece in a year, so you have to pick and choose anyway. One way to get through lots of literature fast is to focus on short stories and poetry and then only read a few of the longer works. You can make those longer works something that your sons are more likely to enjoy.

"Oh, Pioneers" and "My Antonia" are my favorites, and they are easy reads.

For related topics, consider Rolvaag's "Giants in the Earth" which is about the earliest Norwegian pioneers in the Midwest.

Then compare "A Thousand Acres" and "Moo" by Jane Smiley for a more recent look at the midwest. Dig back to "King Lear" which parallels "A Thousand Acres".

Now, that would be a rich study.

If you're heading into Moderns, surely there is so much literature that you could choose that I wouldn't get bogged down in something that doesn't excite me. I liked My Antonia but it might not be hugely inspirational for a young man and there are lots more to choose from. I don't know what else is on your list, or what you've already read, but are you excited about anything coming up?

Julie

"Oh, Pioneers" and "My Antonia" are my favorites, and they are easy reads.

For related topics, consider Rolvaag's "Giants in the Earth" which is about the earliest Norwegian pioneers in the Midwest.

Then compare "A Thousand Acres" and "Moo" by Jane Smiley for a more recent look at the midwest. Dig back to "King Lear" which parallels "A Thousand Acres".

Now, that would be a rich study.

I meant to include Edna Ferber's "So Big" in this list.

There's another pioneer book that is a little later in time, "The Master Butcher's Singing Club" by Louise Erdrich. I like it very much; however, that one you should preread as it is modern and there are some very disturbing passages that are fairly vivid. I would recommend it but not unreservedly.

That way you have looked at the same era and similar locations in several different ways, read some very well-written books, and pulled in some late modern as well as early modern times; as well as linking to Shakespeare which is always a great thing to do!

Oh Pioneers has a good movie version starring a much younger Jessica Lange.

I'm stuggling a lot this year (Moderns) to choose the books for my 10th/12th boys to read. Quite a few I have read and rejected(for various reasons). I read Death Comes For the Archbishop and it was okay, but I didn't love it and I'm sure my boys won't love it either. Why do it? Why do Cather? Have I just lost focus on why we do Lit? Maybe we don't have to love it we just need to get something out of it? And if so what is it that we should or could get out of this one. Maybe I should read some online guides to this book. If you feel like chatting about this I'll eagerly read your replies. I think I'm having trouble thinking about starting school again next week.

Thanks,

Kendall

Why are you set on Cather? Blech!

My high school lit students have enjoyed the following books that would fit into "moderns."

Alas Babylon

Fahrenheit 451

To Kill a Mockingbird

Childhoods End

Animal Farm

Thanks for all of the input and the mention of other titles to consider that I haven’t heard of. Pinpointing this book in the pioneer category helps, I wasn’t looking at it that way. The ideas mentioned are starting to awaken not only my interest in literature again, but also school in general. I do love teaching my kids, but 10 days of family gatherings and sick kids had taken their toll on my idea of a refreshing break.

Thinking out loud here- I think the goal of literature is too vague in my mind. I know the books we have read the last 3 years have built on each other, in that many are refered to in later works. It doesn’t seem to have carried on that way quite so much this year. I know my son(s) have benefited from reading classic works, I think this year is harder because the works to choose from are not so universally classic. Maybe that is why I feel there should be a different goal for literature this year than previous years

This is what we have read this year

Up From Slavery

Animal Farm

Importance of Being Earnest

Moonstone

Three Men in a Boat

Silas Marner

The following are on the list of possibles. Feel free to comment either way on them, especially if you feel they shouldn’t be counted as high school literature (I know I’m free to do as I wish:))

In no particular order:

One Day in the Life of Ivan…

The Old Man and the Sea

To Say Nothing of the Dog (this one I’m looking forward to, I’ve already read it thought about doing some of the poetry that is quoted in it before reading it, also want to do short stories including Carry on Jeeves before we do this one)

House of Seven Gables

Farenheit 451

All Creatures Great and Small

To Kill a Mockingbird

An Agatha Christie?

Death Comes to the ArchBishop

The Great Divorce

Short stories

Poetry

Books I’ve already ruled out:

Count of Monte Cristo ( I liked it, but it is so long, I didn’t think it was worth taking the 8 weeks it might take to read it) – thought about the Black Tulip, but I haven’t had time to read it yet.

Crime and Punishment

Thanks everyone!

I'm so glad you're getting excited again! Just for fun, I thought about your list:

One Day in the Life of Ivan…I'd definitely include

The Old Man and the SeaIt's an easy Hemmingway...

To Say Nothing of the Dog Haven't read it

House of Seven GablesI don't care for Hawthorne, but I suppose high schoolers should read him?

Farenheit 451Has appeal and a well-known author; we read Perelandra in high school instead

All Creatures Great and SmallI'm probably skipping this in LL7 or listening to a short excerpt on audio, so that's my opinion :)

To Kill a MockingbirdDefinitely need to do this

An Agatha Christie?My students where I tutor enjoy her

Death Comes to the ArchBishopCather we've discussed

The Great Divorce

I haven't read this one but dh & I have spent all year listening to Mere Christianity on audio; maybe we should move on to his other works?!

This is what we have read this year

Up From Slavery

Animal Farm

Importance of Being Earnest

Moonstone

Three Men in a Boat

Silas Marner

The following are on the list of possibles. Feel free to comment either way on them, especially if you feel they shouldn’t be counted as high school literature (I know I’m free to do as I wish:))

In no particular order:

One Day in the Life of Ivan…

Good idea!

The Old Man and the Sea

I don't like Hemingway, so if I were teaching I would replace this with a Steinbeck. YMMV. I might do The Moon is Down and then add The Screwtape Letters--two very different glimpses of Europe during WWII, both very well-written.

To Say Nothing of the Dog (this one I’m looking forward to, I’ve already read it thought about doing some of the poetry that is quoted in it before reading it, also want to do short stories including Carry on Jeeves before we do this one)

I don't know this one.

House of Seven Gables

I think that this one is too elementary for high school. I would probably do The Scarlet Letter instead.

Farenheit 451

I don't know this one.

All Creatures Great and Small

I think this is too light to be literature, but it might be a cute break.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Definitely. Maybe pair it with Huckleberry Finn and Uncle Tom's Cabin.

An Agatha Christie?

Not for me.

Death Comes to the ArchBishop

I'd pick one of the others.

The Great Divorce

Sure, why not?

Short stories

Maybe some Edgar Allen Poe. Definitely no Hawthorne!

Poetry

Oh Captain, My Captain

The Chambered Nautilus

Books I’ve already ruled out:

Count of Monte Cristo ( I liked it, but it is so long, I didn’t think it was worth taking the 8 weeks it might take to read it) – thought about the Black Tulip, but I haven’t had time to read it yet.

Crime and Punishment

Really? Seems like this would be a great one.

Thanks everyone!

:001_smile: